Clarification Please - Azure File Share Backup RRS feed

• Question

• I see we now have GA on File Share Backup, GREAT JOB!

Anyway,

From a Legal standpoint I'm required to retain daily backups for 10 years.  Is there a way to do this with the new options that we have?  Currently I'm using DPM in the cloud to do this and if I can I'd like to move to this solution but I'm required to be able to restore any file from it's state on any day in a 10 year range.

Thanks in advance,

John

John

Friday, May 22, 2020 12:52 PM

Answers

• Hello John

Sorry for the delay in response to your question. 

From backup policy perspective, we support 10 years retention for yearly backups and not daily backups. Daily backups can be configured with maximum retention of 200 days.

Though you can achieve this by creating a runbook for taking daily  adhoc snapshots with retention of 10 years but I don’t think that would serve the purpose because currently Azure Files supports maximum 200 snapshots per file share at any point in time. So, you would be able to take 200 daily snapshots with retention of 10 years but from 201st snapshot , backups would start failing.

Hope that clarifies/answers your question.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Please take a moment to "Mark as Answer" and "Vote as Helpful" wherever applicable. Thanks!

Thursday, May 28, 2020 10:47 AM

All replies

• Hello John

Sorry for the delay in response to your question. 

From backup policy perspective, we support 10 years retention for yearly backups and not daily backups. Daily backups can be configured with maximum retention of 200 days.

Though you can achieve this by creating a runbook for taking daily  adhoc snapshots with retention of 10 years but I don’t think that would serve the purpose because currently Azure Files supports maximum 200 snapshots per file share at any point in time. So, you would be able to take 200 daily snapshots with retention of 10 years but from 201st snapshot , backups would start failing.

Hope that clarifies/answers your question.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Please take a moment to "Mark as Answer" and "Vote as Helpful" wherever applicable. Thanks!

Thursday, May 28, 2020 10:47 AM
  • You can take yearly backup for a period of 10 years. You cannot take daily backup for 10 years.

That is not supported by Azure yet. You will have to rely on your current solution to backup everyday and retain that for 10 years.

Thursday, May 28, 2020 12:34 PM

• Have you had a chance to see the previous? If that answers your question, click “Mark as Answer” and Up-Vote. Feel free to reach out to us if you've additional questions in this regard
    Sunday, May 31, 2020 8:07 PM
  • It answers my question but doesn't help.  Hope you guys have something like that on the roadmap.  I'm having to run DPM in the cloud to work around the problem and it doesn't make a lot of sense to have to do that just so I can push the data to a backup vault in a way that supports it, should be native.

John

Sunday, May 31, 2020 8:21 PM
  • @John, please share your valuable feedback at the UserVoice forum - https://feedback.azure.com/forums/258995-azure-backup?category_id=341233 the product group monitors these requests and if your requests gets more votes and adds value to the product, it will be implemented soon.
    Monday, June 1, 2020 7:47 AM