none
Word couldn't send mail because of MAPI failure, Unspecified error. RRS feed

• Question

• This issue is crossposted in Microsoft Answers Word and OUTLOOK.  I am posting here in hopes that someone at Mircrosoft may have a solution or at least elevate the issue to someone who does.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/officeversion_other-word/word-could-not-send-mail-because-of-mapi-failure/f62678fe-ef1d-42b5-8cfe-1e43d6a1d609

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2013_release-outlook/word-couldnt-send-mail-due-to-mapi-failure/1f03cf74-9258-411b-9e2b-e41cb5006d71

I dabble with VBA and write and maintain several amateur Word Add-Ins.  Accordingly, I have Word 2003, 2007, 2010 and 2013 installed on my PC.  They get along fine.  However, I am unable to "Share" or "Send" an open Word document as an E-mail attachment in any version!  In each case Word returns an error mesage "Word couldn't send mail because of a MAPI failure, Unspecified error (the same issue occurs with Excel and Powerpoint except the error dialog is a bit different.)

Using Word 2003, I (CAN) "Send to (Mail recipient for review)" in which case OUTLOOK is opened with the document as an attachment.  I can also "Send to Mail Recipient" from Windows Explorer, in which case the Word file is attached to an OUTLOOK message, and I can create an instance of OUTLOOK and send mail from Word using VBA.

I have repaired all Office versions.  I have removed the registry keys for all office versions and repaired all versions again.  I have run "fixmapi" until I am blue in the face. I have renamed the MAPI32.DLL files and ran sfc \scannow to ensure that the MAPI32.DLL file is not corrupt.  In view of these actions and in view of what I can do, something tells me that the MAPI files are fine.

So what is this "Unspecified error?"  This problem is rife on the internet and most of the "canned" solutions have been marked "Answered" by some MS support engineer.  These "canned" solutions might have fixed the issue at one point, but they don't work now.  At least not for me.

Thanks.

Greg Maxey Please visit my website at: http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/word_tips.htm

Tuesday, March 5, 2013 11:41 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Greg,

Thank you for posting in the MSDN Forum.

I'll consult this issue with my colleague. You'll be informed if there's any update.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Best regards,

Quist Zhang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 8:22 AM
  • Hello Greg,

I noted that there are 2 knowledge articles that describe scenarios where you may encounter this error.

KB 291152 You receive a "Word couldn't send mail because of MAPI failure" error message when you try to send a Word document as an e-mail attachment in Word 2002
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291152/EN-US

KB 929362 You cannot send a file by clicking Send in a different program when Outlook 2007 is running as administrator
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929362/EN-US

Please let me know the following:
    1. What version of Outlook are you using?
    2. Do you have Outlook open when you attempt the File > Share > Email as attachment from Word? If not, does the error occur if you open Outlook, open Word and then try to send the email?
    3. If you close/reopen Word and then try the send again, do you get the same error?
    4. Are you running either Outlook or Word in an elevated mode?
    5. What happens if you start both Outlook and Word as "Run As Administrator". You may have to right-click each applications' .exe file to be able to choose the "Run As Administrator" option.
    6. Do you get the same error when using File > Share > Email as attachment using Excel?
    7. In Internet Explorer, open the Internet Options. On the General tab within the browsing history, delete your temporary Internet files and website files
    8. Does the issue occur in selective startup mode?

Steps to setup selective startup mode:
    Click on the Windows Start button, in the Search box type msconfig and then hit enter. This should open up the System Configuration Utility. Make the following adjustments within each tab.

Services Tab:
      - Check the option 'Hide All Microsoft Services'
     - Click on button 'Disable All'
    Startup Tab:
     - Click the button 'Disable All'
     - Go back through the list and enable any Microsoft items

Click Ok. It will say “You must restart your computer for some of the changes
    made by System Configuration to take effect”. Hit the ‘Restart’ button.

When the PC reboots try to run your test again.

To return back to a normal boot launch msconfig again and choose 'normal startup' on the general tab, click Ok and then reboot the PC.

Regards,
    Dennis

Thursday, March 7, 2013 2:17 PM
  • Dennis,

I was tied up with something else a few days.  Thanks for you replay.  I’ve performed all of your steps with the exception of 4, and no joy!

1. Outlook 2013

2. Yes and no.

3. Yes.

4. Not exactly sure that I understand elevated mode or this question.

5. Makes no difference.  Word and Outook Admin, Word only Admin, Outlook only Admin, neither Admin.  Same error L

6. Yes similar error and similar error when attempting from PowerPoint.

7. No change.

8. No change

Saturday, March 9, 2013 10:13 PM
  • Hi Greg,

Thanks for the reply.

Please check if the following registry keys exist:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{0000000c-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}]
    @="IStream"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{0000000c-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}\ProxyStubClsid32]
    @="{00000320-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}"

Also, do you have multiple user profiles on this machine? If so, can you logon as another user and test if that user can Send the Word document as an email attachment?

If neither of these provide a lead, then you would need to look into using a logging tool such as Process Monitor and/or open a support case with Microsoft to get direct assistance. www.support.microsoft.com/oas

Regards,
    Dennis

Monday, March 11, 2013 4:19 PM
  • Hi Greg,

We are considering closing this thread.

I temporarily marked the reply as answer. You can unmark it if it provides no help.

Please feel free to let us know if you need any further help.

Have a nice day.

Quist Zhang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, March 14, 2013 9:20 AM
  • Once again Microsoft support engineers are marking questions answered that a not!

Open a support case with Microsoft typically involves a fee.  Why should I  have to pay Microsoft to fix their software.  I just won't use "Share"

Thursday, March 14, 2013 10:45 AM
  • Both keys are present.  I have created a new profile and a new Outlook PST folder and I could still not send mail as a attachment.

Thursday, March 14, 2013 10:50 AM
  • I have found the following in the event log:

MAPISendMail: Failed to submit message. Attachments to the message exceeded the size limit set by your Administrator.  Error ID: 27

Firstly someone at MS apparently knows something about the specifications of the "unspecified error." I have a single PC sitting on my desk so if I am not my Administrator the who is?  The mail attachments are a word document containing a single word for test.  So how do I contact my administrator and tell him or her that the documents I want to send are really not the big at all and to please increase the size limit?

Thursday, March 14, 2013 11:28 AM
  • Fixed by setting a limit of 5000 in the Outlook registry key:

http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/email/outlook-2010s-default-attachment-size/

Thursday, March 14, 2013 11:35 AM
  • I had tried many solutions including ones that are not mentioned in this topic.

The fix for me was to Right click on Microsoft Word, then go to properties, click on Compatability and turn on "run as administrator"

The clients computer in question was Windows 7 Professional with Microsoft Office 2007.
    Tuesday, April 29, 2014 8:51 PM
  • I had a similar issue.

Same error message. I could email from Acrobat, Word, Excel, ect just got mapi errors.

I finally figured it out. DO NOT rename Mapi32.dll (Trusted installer will stop you) Rename Msmapi32.dll located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\System\MSMAPI\1033

I spent a few hours looking and found this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926196/en-us

(Similar issue on Outlook 2003-2007) 

Tried this and it worked for my Windows 7 Office 2010 issues after downgrading from 2013.

Hope this helps.

• Proposed as answer by JeLovesMe Friday, December 8, 2017 6:01 PM
    Wednesday, May 14, 2014 3:51 PM
  • I had same problem initially with adobe "an error occurred while sending"  and discovered this was also a problem from word. Disabled UAC and problem solved.

Software was office 2007 and OS win7 32 bit

• Edited by Riyadh May Wednesday, April 8, 2015 12:30 PM
    Wednesday, April 8, 2015 12:29 PM
  • I had tried many solutions including ones that are not mentioned in this topic.

The fix for me was to Right click on Microsoft Word, then go to properties, click on Compatability and turn on "run as administrator"

The clients computer in question was Windows 7 Professional with Microsoft Office 2007.
    Correct Answer my problem solved by your Fix... :)
    Friday, October 2, 2015 10:41 AM
  • Thanks so much for your reference to KB 929362.  Even though it's for Outllook 2007, I had a client with the same issue on Outlook 2010.   Her accounting support team had set Outlook to run as an administrator.   From then on, trying to email attachments from third party programs failed.   Changing the third party app (in this case Adobe Reader) to run as administrator fixed the issue.

Ron

Friday, February 19, 2016 5:58 AM
  • This worked for me - thanks!
    Thursday, December 21, 2017 8:35 PM
  • I was able to fix the problem by going into Control Panel and repairing MS Office.
    Saturday, January 20, 2018 2:46 AM
  • None of your suggestions worked.  Finally I was able to get mine to work.  But I still can't understand why!!!!  

My computer: MS Surface Book, Win 10 64bit, Office2016.  Freshly re-imaged with consumers OS from the Microsoft Store. Other than MS updates, Visual C++ 2005, 2008, 2010 & 2013, Adobe reader, Foxit PDF and MS Office2016; I have no other major applications.

My issue:  Unable to share or email attachment directly from Adobe, Foxit PDF, Word, Excel, etc.. I AM able to attach it within Outlook.  Rename the MAPI32.DLL many times over, performed various scans in cmd, made sure Outlook is default mail client, increase ATTACHMENT size in registry, ran Winword as admin along with the other apps......... none of which worked. 

I tried Repair, uninstall and re-install Office2016.  My version is Standard version that is a VLSC license. 

The fix:  I uninstalled the VLSC standard license.  Installed the boxed version of MS home and business version.  And it worked.  

Is there any correlation between VLSC and box version of Office2016 vs the OS designed for consumer as oppose a corporate OS version?   

Microsoft:  get your sh!t straight before you go ahead and release various versions of office and OS's.

Wednesday, June 13, 2018 2:00 PM