none
Some guidance on requirement of updates/upgrades/replacements for Expression Studio RRS feed

• General discussion

• I purchased Expression Studio 3 over two years ago but have only started using Web 3 with the hopeful goal of creating a website for my daughter's beautician services.      i am rather confused for the best way forward with upgrades/updates.

Regards,

Mark

Thursday, June 13, 2013 7:20 PM

All replies

• Well, just upgrade to the new free version of EW4. It is basically the same as EW3 but with significant improvements under the hood, especially in publishing. Follow this link...

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=36179

Things Liberal Arts graduates never like to hear:
    “…which means you are going first in Double Jeopardy.”

Thursday, June 13, 2013 8:27 PM
  • And please change your thread type from "Discussion" to "Question," which is what it is.

If you are talking about "upgrades" in terms of the software, then the link Bill provided is the answer—a 100% free upgrade from EW3 to EW4 SP2a, the latest (and last) version. So, after changing the thread type to "Question," you should please mark Bill's reply as the answer, to give Bill credit for providing the answer, and to help others searching on this subject to find the answer later.

As for "... the hopeful goal of creating a website for my daughter's beautician services," be aware that EW is a professional tool, in fact, "...the professional design tool for creating modern, standards-based sites that deliver superior quality on the web," as stated at the very beginning of this forum. It is NOT "desktop publishing for the Web," and NOT a WYSIWYG design application, and you cannot simply work in design view and test only in Internet Explorer and expect to produce a site that will be more benefit than detriment to your daughter's business.

Please see the Learning Resources and Reference Sites section of the Forum FAQs and Guidelines - Start Here, where you will find extensive, free training resources for learning HTML and CSS (required for working with EW), and for working with EW. Start with Cheryl's excellent "Build a Basic Web Site" video tutorial, at http://by-expression.com/page/EW-Video-Basic-Website-tutorial, then refer to the free, bite-sized, self-paced w3schools courses at http://w3schools.com/html/ and http://w3schools.com/css/.

It will take a little investment of time, and you will need to test in all the opular browsers (at least Firefox, Chrome, Safari, four versions of IE, and as many mobile browsers as you have access to), but it will enable you to produce a site of which your daughter can be proud, rather than ashamed. Give it a go, and good luck!  ;-)

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

Thursday, June 13, 2013 9:40 PM
  • ??
    Tuesday, June 25, 2013 6:08 PM
  • Thanks for your info, could yo please forward this info to my email address markmcl51@yahoo.co.uk

Regards

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 6:11 PM
  • Thanks for your info, could yo please forward this info to my email address markmcl51@yahoo.co.uk
    Regards

First of all, what do you mean by "this info?" If you mean the responses that you have received so far, then, no, that is not how forums work. The information will remain available here for as long as Microsoft maintains the forums. You are free to copy and paste it into whatever local document you wish on your machine, but it remains here for the edification of anyone who wishes to use it, who may come later with a similar question.

And, as noted above, since you did indeed ask a question, for which you have received answers, you should change the type of this thread from "General Discussion" to "Question," and mark any response(s) that you find helpful as the answer.

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 9:10 PM
  • 1. The rule for forums--all forum--is "Asked here; answered here."

2. By posting your e-mail address in the open in the forum--any forum--you are exposing it to be harvested by spam bots. You really should take it down.

Things Liberal Arts graduates never like to hear:
    “…which means you are going first in Double Jeopardy.”

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 11:16 PM