How to create a Metro COM ?

Question

• Can I develop a Metro COM Which might be called by OS?What project should I create in vs2012 RC? WinRT or other?If I create a COM in a WinRT Component,how to register it?I try to regsrc32 xxx.dll,but it is failed?And I have exported function DllRegisterServer().
    Wednesday, June 06, 2012 6:43 AM

All replies

• Hi cybupt,

This is not possible. You cannot call a custom WinRT component from a desktop app.

--Rob

Wednesday, June 06, 2012 3:21 PM
    Owner
  • Need the custom WinRT component be register before it is used like calling DllRegisterServer() in desktop COM?
    Thursday, June 07, 2012 1:43 AM
  • Can you explain your scenario? What are you trying to do?

There is no supported way to use a custom WinRT component in a desktop app.

Thursday, June 07, 2012 1:45 AM
    Owner
  • I am intent to develop the 3rd party input method editor program which is COM in fact and would be used by OS's TSF Manager.As MSDN description,it could be worked in both desktop and metro.

The MSDN introduction is " If your IME needs to provide different functionality or UI between Metro style apps and desktop apps, ensure that the DLL that’s loaded by TSF checks which type of app it's being loaded into. Call the ITfThreadMgrEx::GetActiveFlags method in your IME and check the TF_TMF_IMMERSIVEMODE flag, so your IME triggers different application logic depending on the result."

The article is http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh967425.

Somethings that I expect to know are that what kind of project should I create to develop a Metro TSF COM in VS2012? Is it a WinRT component DLL project or other?If it is WinRT componet dll project,does my WinRT component dll(TSF) need be registered to inform OS to detect it?  

• Edited by cybupt Thursday, June 07, 2012 2:13 AM
    Thursday, June 07, 2012 1:59 AM