Visual Studio 2013 - turning off indenting does not work? RRS feed

• Question

• Ok - I want indenting turned off in Visual Studio Pro 2013, so...

Tools -> Options -> Text Editor -> All Languages -> Tabs -> Indenting (set to None) -> Click OK

Now, no matter what type of file I edit I get indented text, code, comments; I have indents coming out of my ears !

It's a cruel joke right?  Or am I the only person who thought setting Tabs -> Indenting to None meant none? 

Seriously though -- I know I missed some setting -- but for the life of me I cannot disable this behavior...

From msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/7sffa753.aspx -

None  When selected, new lines are not indented. The insertion point is placed in the first column of a new line.

So why when I insert a new line (that is press the Enter key) is my cursor in column 6 of the next line? -- I have set the indent option to NONE for ALL languages?????  This is driving me NUTS !!!

Tuesday, November 4, 2014 1:28 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi BDCoder,

After I did this: Tools -> Options -> Text Editor -> All Languages -> Tabs -> Indenting (set to None) -> Click OK and then edit in a source file such as C# file on my VS2013, the indenting feature is turned off.

I doubt there is anything wrong with your VS IDE. I suggest resetting your VS settings through Tools->Import and Export settings->Reset all settings->…. , only setting Indenting to None , don’t set Indenting size and then check the result.

If the issue still exists, whether only specific project has this issue or not? Please create a new C# project and check the Indenting feature. If the issue only occurred in the specific project, I am afraid that the issue is on your project. Please delete .suo file of the solution and reload the solution to check the Indenting. If the issue still exists in this project, you have to create a new project and import the contents of the previous project to new project.

Thanks,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, November 5, 2014 6:34 AM
  • Hi Guys,

I am using VS 2013 for a WEBSITE project (not C#, not MVC)...  started as an empty ASP.Net website project ...

The behavior I am describing happens whenever I edit an *.aspx page or VB code embedded in an aspx page.  For example:

<!DOCTYPE html>
    <%@ Page Language="VB" WarningLevel="1" Explicit="true" Strict="true" %>
    <script language="VB" runat="server">
    '--------------------------------------------------
    '
    sub Page_Init( obj as object, e as eventargs )

Whenever I hit the enter key -- the environment indents the cursor 3 spaces if I am the script section of the page and 6 if I am in the HTML portion of the page.   Nothing I have tried stops this.

I did try the Reset all settings and then setting the Indenting to None for all languages -- but the behavior persists.

Wednesday, November 5, 2014 6:22 PM
  • Hi BDCoder,

I still can’t get your issue on my VS2013. Whether you have VS2013 Update 3? If no, I suggest upgrading VS2013 to Update 3. You can download VS2013 update 3 from here: http://www.visualstudio.com/news/2014-aug-4-vs

Before upgrading, you can check HTML/HTML(Web Form)->Tabs->Indenting after you set Indenting to None  under All Languages to make sure the Indenting for the specific language is set to None.

Also you can don’t enable any option in Intending under All languages and specify the Intending for the specific language directly. You can try it.

I also suggest that you run VS using devenv.exe  /resetuserdata to reset VS user data and then check the Indenting.

If no help, please run VS under safe mode using devenv.exe /safemode and then check Indenting in web site.  This switch prevents all third-party VSPackages from loading when Visual Studio starts, thus ensuring stable execution.

devenv.exe can be located under your VS location/Common7/IDE

What your need is to put it to run prompt and add commands to it.

If the issue will disappear under safe mode, you need to disable some third-party VSPackages from Visual Studio Tools->Extensions and Updates.

Thanks,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

• Proposed as answer by Amanda Zhu Monday, November 10, 2014 7:09 AM
    • Marked as answer by Amanda Zhu Wednesday, November 12, 2014 1:28 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by BDCoder Wednesday, November 12, 2014 5:05 PM
    Thursday, November 6, 2014 3:08 AM
  • Hi Crystal,

I did use devenv.exe /resetuserdata -- no effect.

I am using VS 2013 Update 3 (copy of system info below).

When I get time, I will send you and exact, step-by-step procedure for creating a website project, addint a .aspx page that contains both HTML and VB code --( I think this is where the problem is).

VS shows me that indenting is set to "None" for ALL languages, yet, when I press the enter key on ANY line in an .aspx page, the cursor will start on the NEXT line at column 6.

SYSTEM INFO:

Microsoft Visual Studio Professional 2013
    Version 12.0.30723.00 Update 3
    Microsoft .NET Framework
    Version 4.5.51209

Installed Version: Professional

Team Explorer for Visual Studio 2013   06177-004-0446016-02165
    Microsoft Team Explorer for Visual Studio 2013

Visual Basic 2013   06177-004-0446016-02165
    Microsoft Visual Basic 2013

Visual C# 2013   06177-004-0446016-02165
    Microsoft Visual C# 2013

Visual C++ 2013   06177-004-0446016-02165
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2013

Visual F# 2013   06177-004-0446016-02165
    Microsoft Visual F# 2013

Visual Studio 2013 Code Analysis Spell Checker   06177-004-0446016-02165
    Microsoft® Visual Studio® 2013 Code Analysis Spell Checker

Portions of International CorrectSpell™ spelling correction system © 1993 by Lernout & Hauspie Speech Products N.V. All rights reserved.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Third Edition Copyright © 1992 Houghton Mifflin Company. Electronic version licensed from Lernout & Hauspie Speech Products N.V. All rights reserved.

Application Insights Tools for Visual Studio Package   1.0
    Application Insights Tools for Visual Studio

ASP.NET and Web Tools   12.3.50717.0
    Microsoft Web Developer Tools contains the following components:
    Support for creating and opening ASP.NET web projects
    Browser Link: A communication channel between Visual Studio and browsers
    Editor extensions for HTML, CSS, and JavaScript
    Page Inspector: Inspection tool for ASP.NET web projects
    Scaffolding: A framework for building and running code generators
    Server Explorer extensions for Microsoft Azure Websites
    Web publishing: Extensions for publishing ASP.NET web projects to hosting providers, on-premises servers, or Microsoft Azure

ASP.NET Web Frameworks and Tools 2012.2   4.1.21001.0
    For additional information, visit http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=309563

ASP.NET Web Frameworks and Tools 2013   5.2.20703.0
    For additional information, visit http://www.asp.net/

CodeMaid   #114
    CodeMaid is an open source Visual Studio extension to cleanup, dig through and simplify our C#, C++, F#, VB, XAML, XML, ASP, HTML, CSS, LESS, SCSS, JavaScript and TypeScript coding.

Written by Steve Cadwallader, for more information visit http://www.codemaid.net/

Common Azure Tools   1.2
    Provides common services for use by Azure Mobile Services and Microsoft Azure Tools.

Microsoft Azure Mobile Services Tools   1.2
    Microsoft Azure Mobile Services Tools

NuGet Package Manager   2.8.50313.46
    NuGet Package Manager in Visual Studio. For more information about NuGet, visit http://docs.nuget.org/.

PowerShell Tools   1.2
    Provides file classification services using PowerShell

PreEmptive Analytics Visualizer   1.2
    Microsoft Visual Studio extension to visualize aggregated summaries from the PreEmptive Analytics product.

SQL Server Data Tools   12.0.30919.1
    Microsoft SQL Server Data Tools

Windows Phone 8.1 SDK Integration   1.0
    This package integrates the tools for the Windows Phone 8.1 SDK into the menus and controls of Visual Studio.

Wednesday, November 12, 2014 5:05 PM
  • Hi BDCode,

Instead of telling us the detailed steps for your website project, you can create a simple sample and share it with us. You can upload the sample project to OneDrive and post the download link here.

In addition, I doubt that there is anything wrong with your VS. In order to resolve this issue as soon as possible, I recommend reinstalling your VS. Before reinstalling, you can try repairing VS to check whether it has some help.

• Edited by Amanda Zhu Monday, November 17, 2014 3:12 AM edit
    Friday, November 14, 2014 9:14 AM
  • Hi BDCoder,

I really can reproduce your issue using your sample website project. But I tried it in VS2015 Preview and the issue disappeared. I doubt it is an issue in VS2013. Not sure whether Update 4 resolved this issue. You can try to upgrade to VS2013 Update 4 RTM to check the result.

Also you can create connect report for it to get the issue confirmed and diagnose by product team. You will get email notification for update.http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/CreateFeedback.aspx, if you submit it, you could share us the link here, so we could know the latest information from the Product team expert. And I will help you to vote it. When you submit a feedback, please attach the sample website project as well so that the product team engineer can reproduce your issue better.

Best regards,

• Edited by Amanda Zhu Monday, November 17, 2014 8:52 AM edit
    Monday, November 17, 2014 8:21 AM
    • Edited by Amanda Zhu Tuesday, November 18, 2014 1:44 AM edit
    • Marked as answer by Amanda Zhu Tuesday, November 18, 2014 1:46 AM
    Monday, November 17, 2014 4:45 PM
  • Hi BDCoder,

It seems that I don't have permissions to open the connect link above, maybe it is private. I find this: https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/1020865/turning-off-indenting-does-not-work I update your post above. I vote it and submit my comment there.

And since this issue was reported to Microsoft Connect, then it is in their support range, Microsoft engineer will provide support for you better. I will close this thread through marking your reply as a temporary ‘answer’ on the forum side, which will be beneficial for other members when they use forums. Meanwhile I will continue to follow the Microsoft Connect. Once an answer is provided, I will help to post in this thread.

Thank you very much for your understanding.

Best regards,

Tuesday, November 18, 2014 1:46 AM