none
WsMan: wsman:OperationTimeout RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, 

Documentation says

The WS-Management specification defines the OperationTimeout value to indicate that

the clients expect a response or a fault within the specified time, as specified

in [DMTF-DSP0226] section 6.1.

Does that mean that if OperationTimeout extremely high (e.g 1h) server may respond me  in last turn?

Or if there are 2 retests: 1st  with OperationTimeout=1m and 2nd with OperationTimeout=1h, does that mean that 1st will be prioritized over 2nd one?

Im asking because Im facing timeouts for WsMan, I tried to increase socket timeout and  OperationTimeout to 3h and got the situation when response was retrieved 2 hours after request. 

Thursday, April 30, 2020 4:07 PM

Answers

• Hi Igor,

Timeouts set on different operations do not interact with each other or affect how messages are processes. Each OperationTimeout is specific to the operation and determines when the operation will error out if not yet responded to. 

Is your purpose to understand timeouts better, or are you troubleshooting hung operations? What type of operations are you seeing multi-hour delays on?

If you were to use a Windows client to duplicate the operation in question, it would give you a point of comparison to see if Windows has the same behavior or if it's specific to your implementation. 

If you want to have a more detailed discussion about this issue, please email me at our DocHelp @microsoft .com email alias. 

Thanks,

Jeff McCashland | Microsoft Protocols Open Specifications Team

Tuesday, May 5, 2020 4:10 PM

All replies

• Hi Igor

Thanks for the question about Windows Specifications. One of the Open Specifications team will respond shortly to assist you.

HungChun Yu (MSFT)

Friday, May 1, 2020 6:09 AM
  • Hi Igor,

I will research your question and let you know what I find. 

Thanks,

Friday, May 1, 2020 2:32 PM
  • Hi Igor,

The purpose of this forum is to support the Open Specifications documentation. You can read about the Microsoft Open Specifications program at https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/openspecifications/default. The library of Open Specification documents is located at https://msdn.microsoft.com/library/dd208104.aspx.

Are you implementing WSMAN, or is this a Windows-to-Windows test? What do you mean by 'retest'? What is the purpose of setting the socket timeout, and what is the purpose of setting the timeouts so high? If you set 0 timeout, does it apply a default timeout, or does it block until the response is sent?

Thanks,

Friday, May 1, 2020 6:37 PM
  • Hi Jeff,

>Are you implementing WSMAN, or is this a Windows-to-Windows test?

I'm implementing Java WSMan client

>What do you mean by 'retest'?

Sorry, that is typo. I meant 'requests'

>What is the purpose of setting the socket timeout, and what is the purpose of setting the timeouts so high?

Socket timeout defines how long client is waiting for data packets from server. Timeout is so hight because Im facing timeouts. I tried to increase it several times: 10m, 20m, 30m etc. Finally I tried 3h timeout and found that sometimes WsMan responds quickly and sometimes there is 3h between WsMan request and respond (see https://pastebin.com/hZERrfZK)

Monday, May 4, 2020 8:25 AM
  • Hi Igor,

Does the delayed timeout happen in a Windows-to-Windows scenario, or only with your Client implementation? 

Thanks,

Monday, May 4, 2020 8:35 PM
  • I have not tried windows 2 windows scenario. Not sure which cmd-let I should use to do http://schemas.microsoft.com/wbem/wsman/1/windows/shell/cmd
    Monday, May 4, 2020 10:07 PM
  • Hi Igor,

Timeouts set on different operations do not interact with each other or affect how messages are processes. Each OperationTimeout is specific to the operation and determines when the operation will error out if not yet responded to. 

Is your purpose to understand timeouts better, or are you troubleshooting hung operations? What type of operations are you seeing multi-hour delays on?

If you were to use a Windows client to duplicate the operation in question, it would give you a point of comparison to see if Windows has the same behavior or if it's specific to your implementation. 

If you want to have a more detailed discussion about this issue, please email me at our DocHelp @microsoft .com email alias. 

Thanks,

Tuesday, May 5, 2020 4:10 PM