none
Targeting .NET 4.5 with VS2010

Question

• Hi Everyone,

I realize that Visual Studio 2010 is not supposed to be able to build
    apps targeting .NET 4.5, but I've come across something on Stack Overflow
    that seems to indicate something to the contrary:

=============================================================================

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/12390175/targeting-net-framework-4-5-via-visual-studio-2010

I have been struggling with VS2010/DNFW 4.5 integration and have finally got this working.
     Starting in VS 2008, a cache of assemblies was introduced that is used by Visual Studio
     called the "Referenced Assemblies". This file cache for VS 2010 is located at
     \Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework.NetFramework\v4.0. Visual Studio loads framework
     assemblies from this location instead of from the framework installation directory. When
     Microsoft says that VS 2010 does not support DNFW 4.5 what they mean is that this directory
     does not get updated when DNFW 4.5 is installed. Once you have replace the files in this
     location with the updated DNFW 4.5 files, you will find that VS 2010 will happily function
     with DNFW 4.5.

=============================================================================

Has anyone ever tried this?

I cannot find the folder with the "Referenced Assemblies" on my box.

Does anyone know where it might be located?

Any assistance with this would be greatly appreciated.

Wally

Sunday, January 17, 2016 8:16 PM

Answers

• Hi Wally,

Thanks for your post.

>I cannot find the folder with the "Referenced Assemblies" on my box.

Was you finding the ReferencedAssemblies folder.

If so, the folder is in the following path:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE\ReferenceAssemblies

I also tried the workaround provided by Capt Nasty which shared in stackoverflow. But I still can’t change my project framework to .NET 4.5 when using VS2010.

As far as I know, we cannot use 4.5 framework with 2010. To use 4.5 we have to install VS 2012 or other advanced version.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao
    • Marked as answer by Wally9633 Monday, January 18, 2016 4:19 PM
    Monday, January 18, 2016 9:00 AM