none
Drop down list / Combo boxes RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I am fairly new to the developer aspect of word. I work at a hospital that uses word for documentation and have adopted the current templates in use from another person that is no longer here. I am currently attempting to make some templates that are more user friendly.

My question is, can drop down list and combo boxes be removed once they are saved to a template??

I would appreciate any help that you can give me w/this.

Thanks

Bruster

Monday, June 23, 2014 10:16 PM

Answers

• Depending on what kinds of dropdowns, etc. you're using, you could either lock them or replace them with just their contents. Either approach would require the use of macros, however, and that means you'd be somewhat at the mercy of those filling the forms. If the users' macro security settings are too high or they choose not to allow macros to run when prompted, the locking/conversion to text wouldn't occur. To some extent this can be overcome by storing the macros in the document template and keeping the template in a 'trusted location', but that's only useful if the document can access its template from wherever it is opened.

PS: You ask "can drop down list and combo boxes be removed once they are saved to a template". Note that your users shouldn't be saving to a template; that would make the template unusable for anyone else. Rather, you'd be saving the new file (created from the template) as a document in its own right. I suspect the issue here may just be one of terminology - the terms template and document in Word refer to specific kinds of file, templates being .dot, .dotx or .dotm files used to create .doc, .docx or .docm documents, not vice-versa.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Tuesday, June 24, 2014 2:27 AM
  • If the document/template isn't protected, you could just select them and press Delete. If it's a true template (not just a document you're calling a template), you'll need to open the template for editing. Go to File|Open, select 'All Word templates' from the file type dropdown, then select your template for opening.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Thursday, June 26, 2014 4:28 AM

All replies

• Depending on what kinds of dropdowns, etc. you're using, you could either lock them or replace them with just their contents. Either approach would require the use of macros, however, and that means you'd be somewhat at the mercy of those filling the forms. If the users' macro security settings are too high or they choose not to allow macros to run when prompted, the locking/conversion to text wouldn't occur. To some extent this can be overcome by storing the macros in the document template and keeping the template in a 'trusted location', but that's only useful if the document can access its template from wherever it is opened.

PS: You ask "can drop down list and combo boxes be removed once they are saved to a template". Note that your users shouldn't be saving to a template; that would make the template unusable for anyone else. Rather, you'd be saving the new file (created from the template) as a document in its own right. I suspect the issue here may just be one of terminology - the terms template and document in Word refer to specific kinds of file, templates being .dot, .dotx or .dotm files used to create .doc, .docx or .docm documents, not vice-versa.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Tuesday, June 24, 2014 2:27 AM
  • Thanks for the information it was helpful. I guess what I meant to say about the drop down boxes is; Once they have been put in an template, can they be removed?

I am in the process of making new templates for documentation in a physical therapy dept, and have place some drop down lists that I now want to remove from the template. How do I do this??

Thanks in advance

Bruster

Wednesday, June 25, 2014 10:13 PM
  • If the document/template isn't protected, you could just select them and press Delete. If it's a true template (not just a document you're calling a template), you'll need to open the template for editing. Go to File|Open, select 'All Word templates' from the file type dropdown, then select your template for opening.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Thursday, June 26, 2014 4:28 AM