PrivateFontCollection does not work RRS feed

• Question

• User539648229 posted

Hi

I'm trying to use fonts on the server that is not installed but it seems that PrivateFontCollection does not work. Here is my code:

protected void Page_Load(object sender, EventArgs e)
            {
                Image image = new Bitmap(600, 400);
                Graphics g = Graphics.FromImage(image);
                PrivateFontCollection fonts = new PrivateFontCollection();
                fonts.AddFontFile(HttpContext.Current.Request.PhysicalApplicationPath + "\\Fonts\\NellaSueDEMO.ttf");
                Font font = new Font(fonts.Families[0].Name, 20);

g.DrawString("Sample", font, new SolidBrush(Color.Black), 300, 200);

Response.ContentType = "image/png";
                image.Save(Response.OutputStream, ImageFormat.Png);

g.Dispose();
                image.Dispose();
                Response.Flush();
            }

Please Help
    Thanks

Sunday, April 6, 2014 8:37 AM

Answers

• User753101303 posted

Hi,

I gave a try using a Windows app and :

PrivateFontCollection pfc = new PrivateFontCollection();
                var f=System.Environment.GetFolderPath(Environment.SpecialFolder.Desktop);
                f=f+"\\la_unica\\launica.ttf";
                pfc.AddFontFile(f);
                foreach (var family in pfc.Families)
                {
                    var myFont = new Font(family, 18);
                    label1.Font = myFont;
                    label1.Text="Hello World.";
                    break;
                }

worked for me. It didn't work when using the family name rather than a family object. What was the error you had when trying this approach ? Have you tried with other font files ? I tested with La Unica from http://www.1001freefonts.com/

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, April 9, 2014 7:04 AM

All replies

• User753101303 posted

Hi,

Note sure but what if you try http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/8882dhsk(v=vs.110).aspx that is to initialize the font with a family object rather than with a family name (in the second case I don't see how it could guess it has to use the PrivateFontCollection, in the second case, the family object does come from this collection) ? At least it would be my first try.

Edit: so I would try Font font = new Font(fonts.Families[0], 20); rather than Font font = new Font(fonts.Families[0].Name, 20);

Sunday, April 6, 2014 2:21 PM
  • User465171450 posted

Are you receiving an error? If so, can you post it here?

If Fonts is a directory off the root of your application, try

fonts.AddFontFile(HttpContext.Current.Server.MapPath("~/Fonts/NellaSueDEMO.ttf"));

This will return the physical path from the virtual file's path based on the root of this current application.

Tuesday, April 8, 2014 12:44 AM
  • User539648229 posted

Hi

The documention says that name must be used and if I use Family, Visual Studio crashes. there is no error and result is displayed with default font and not with NellaSue(script font style). Originally I used a persian font and it did not work and I tested it with a english font(NellaSue) from a website but the result was the same. I searced the PrivateFontCollection in the forum and it seems other poeple used it successfully. I think there is a point using it or there is a problem with my OS(Win 8).

Regards

Tuesday, April 8, 2014 3:57 AM
  • User753101303 posted

Try perhaps http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/y505zzfw(v=vs.110).aspx with your font file. Use the same overload and it seems that they also included the style as part of the name.

Does the same work in Windows 7 ?

Tuesday, April 8, 2014 4:30 AM
  • User539648229 posted

Hi

I used the same overload but nothing changed. They included the style as part of the name for drawing it on the form. Both my laptop and desktop have win 8 installed on them. I would be thankful if you test it on you computer.

Regards

Wednesday, April 9, 2014 6:17 AM
  • User753101303 posted

Hi,

I gave a try using a Windows app and :

PrivateFontCollection pfc = new PrivateFontCollection();
                var f=System.Environment.GetFolderPath(Environment.SpecialFolder.Desktop);
                f=f+"\\la_unica\\launica.ttf";
                pfc.AddFontFile(f);
                foreach (var family in pfc.Families)
                {
                    var myFont = new Font(family, 18);
                    label1.Font = myFont;
                    label1.Text="Hello World.";
                    break;
                }

worked for me. It didn't work when using the family name rather than a family object. What was the error you had when trying this approach ? Have you tried with other font files ? I tested with La Unica from http://www.1001freefonts.com/

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, April 9, 2014 7:04 AM
  • User539648229 posted

Hi

I checked again and this time it was Ok with Families. The day I started this thread, IIS crashed serveral times and I used name. It seems that working with fonts is unstable because in my applicatin sometimes font size changes. Thanks anyway. 

Thursday, April 10, 2014 6:12 AM