none
how to add a sharepoint hosted app with in a sharepoint site using provided hosted app (remote site provisioning) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Folks,

We have a business requirement to provision a site in SharePoint Production Online with SharePoint hosted app (from app catalog) installed in it, using provided hosted app. i.e using remote site provisioning.

This SharePoint hosted app (from your organization) should be installed by default for every sites using csom approach, instead of provisioning the site and then manually adding this app later on. Let me know if there is any option other than activating side loading for every sites.

Thanks,

Arun Rajiv Kumar

Tuesday, April 11, 2017 12:33 PM

All replies

• Hi Arun,

At this moment, activating site loading feature is the only way to enable users to install an app to a site using CSOM.

To avoid any security risk might cause by the activation of site loading feature, I would suggest you deactivate it after installing the app using CSOM.

Best regards,

Patrick 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, April 12, 2017 5:58 AM
  • Hi Patrick,

Thanks for replying. In this case, I had to upload the .app from my local drive, not from App Catalog. So, in future I want to upgrade my app from app catalog, how it can done??

Please let me know if any other options available.

Thanks,

Arun Rajiv Kumar

Wednesday, April 12, 2017 6:22 AM
  • Hi Arun,

Since the .app package doesn’t exist in the app catalog, it is not supported to upgrade the app from app catalog in the future.

To take use of app catalog, you can go in the way “App Stapling”, which provides a centralized management of app in a group of sites:

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/richard_dizeregas_blog/2013/03/04/sharepoint-2013-app-deployment-through-app-stapling/

Best regards,

Patrick

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, April 12, 2017 7:11 AM
  • Patrick,

I just noticed that App stapling has some of its disadvantages like below points:

• Similar to deployment, an App Catalog administrator can retract apps from specific sites (or flip the kill switch to disable it from all sites)
    • Because the app is pushed by an administrator, site owners will not be able to remove the app from a site that meets the deployment criteria.  Not even a site collection administrator can remove the app.
    • This centralized deployment also share the same centralized app resources (App Web and Remote Web).  Essentially, the app is deployed, but not installed in the sites.  All sites will leverage the App Web and Remote Web from the instance installed in the App Catalog.  This significantly changes tenancy considerations for SharePoint-hosted and Autohosted apps, which typically get their own dedicate app resources.

We cannot compromise to have centralized app resources as per our business requirement. Is there any other work around available?

Wednesday, April 12, 2017 11:22 AM