How to determine Host instance name from BTSNTSvc.exe in Resoure Monitor? RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a way we can determine the Host Instance in Resource Monitor to check which host is utilizing how much of memory? For BizTalk all we see is BTNTSvc.exe for every Host Instance running but cannot differentiate. I can see XXX64.exe for 64 bit and for 32 bit the usual name but not Host instance specific name.
    Thursday, October 25, 2012 2:21 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You can't, you can however get the hostinstancename using the PID with the powershell script provided here.

Regards,

René

• Marked as answer by BlueSnowXYZ Thursday, October 25, 2012 2:39 PM
    Thursday, October 25, 2012 2:34 PM
  • Hi,

I used to also do the same as in the previous replies: either use tasklist or process explorer from sysinternals (I wrote about that in 2007, when they were no alternatives: http://www.malgreve.net/2007/07/16/biztalk-process-and-service-name-relation/) but with modern OS (Win 2k8 and up, Windows Vista and up) you can directly get it from the standard Windows Task manager, click the tab "Services" and you will see all the BizTalk hosts with name having the following pattern: BTSSvc$HostName such as BTSSvc$BizTalkServerApplication. You will also be able to see their PIDs just next to the name (if the hosts are started, obviously)

So for me, now I prefer to do it this way now as it's more straightforward. There is indeed no tool nor script needed to run to get the PID.

Cheers,

Francois

• Proposed as answer by Rene Bik Friday, October 26, 2012 9:40 AM
    • Marked as answer by BlueSnowXYZ Friday, October 26, 2012 2:30 PM
    Thursday, October 25, 2012 3:20 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You can't, you can however get the hostinstancename using the PID with the powershell script provided here.

Regards,

René

• Marked as answer by BlueSnowXYZ Thursday, October 25, 2012 2:39 PM
  • You can also try using perfmon and selecting host instance level performance counters to measure it and see if it works for you in this case.

Also if you want to generate a report for a period you can use PAL .

HTH,
    Naushad Alam

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer
    alamnaushad.wordpress.com
    My TechNet Wiki "BizTalk Server: Performance Tuning & Optimization"

• great. i will try this.
    Thursday, October 25, 2012 2:39 PM
  • Hi,

I used to also do the same as in the previous replies: either use tasklist or process explorer from sysinternals (I wrote about that in 2007, when they were no alternatives: http://www.malgreve.net/2007/07/16/biztalk-process-and-service-name-relation/) but with modern OS (Win 2k8 and up, Windows Vista and up) you can directly get it from the standard Windows Task manager, click the tab "Services" and you will see all the BizTalk hosts with name having the following pattern: BTSSvc$HostName such as BTSSvc$BizTalkServerApplication. You will also be able to see their PIDs just next to the name (if the hosts are started, obviously)

So for me, now I prefer to do it this way now as it's more straightforward. There is indeed no tool nor script needed to run to get the PID.

Cheers,

Francois

• Proposed as answer by Rene Bik Friday, October 26, 2012 9:40 AM
    • Marked as answer by BlueSnowXYZ Friday, October 26, 2012 2:30 PM
    Thursday, October 25, 2012 3:20 PM
  • If you are using dedicated hosts for send, receive, orchestration, tracking and have individual BizTalk host instance service accounts, you can see this information directly in Task Manager. The user running the service will guide you:

DOMAIN\BizTalkHostUserS = send host
    DOMAIN\BizTalkHostUserR = receive host
    DOMAIN\BizTalkHostUserO = orchestration host
    DOMAIN\BizTalkHostUserT = tracking host

and so on…and the naming convention is up to you =)

Best Regards
    Henrik

Friday, October 26, 2012 9:30 AM
  • thank you Francois. very helpful and pretty straightforward.
    Friday, October 26, 2012 2:30 PM