Derived classes must provide an implementation

Question

• Running a build in VS11 and I get

"Derived classes must provide an implementation"

There are no other error messages. Where it would indicate source file and line number is blank.

I removed all abstract classes and made all abstract methods/properties virtual. Still get the message.

The code is a 20,000 line port from WPF to Metro. It works fine under WPF.

It would be REALLY NICE if Visual Studio could be more specific in its error reporting.

Monday, March 05, 2012 8:05 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for reporting this issue, can you please paste the error message with error code here? This will help us identify the component generating the error message.

-Navit Saxena

Monday, March 05, 2012 8:24 PM
  • I get the same error, any help would be appreciated :)

The error is just :

Erreur 1 Derived classes must provide an implementation.

Tuesday, March 06, 2012 3:24 PM
  • Ashura,

We will look into this issue, it will be really useful if you can share repro steps / repro project with us for investigation. You can send details directly to me at navits at microsoft dot com and I will take a look.

-Navit Saxena

Tuesday, March 06, 2012 6:46 PM
  • Hi,

In Visual Studio 11 Beta, there are known issues with use of public types as arrays. If a custom control contains a public type as array, the XAML compiler will generate this error.

The work-around for this issue will be to either change the array types to internal or use List generic type.

If you need more help, you can directly get in touch with me at navits at microsoft dot come and I can help out.

-Navit Saxena

• Proposed as answer by navits - MSFT Thursday, March 08, 2012 11:52 PM
    Thursday, March 08, 2012 11:52 PM
  • Hi Navit,

We were just trying to create a property like so on our UserControl:

public IEnumerable<string> StringsList {
    	get {
    		return new string[] { "AAA", "BBB", "CCC" };
    	}
    }

Even though the property itself is returned as an IEnumerable<string>, the fact that an array is used as the return value is causing issues when we try to bind an ItemsControl to it.  Is this related to your known problems with arrays?

The exception we get is:

Call to UIASendMessageTimeout failed
    Value does not fall within the expected range.

actiprosoftware.com - Professional WPF, Silverlight, and WinForms UI controls and components

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 4:25 PM
  • Hi,

In Visual Studio 11 Beta, there are known issues with use of public types as arrays. If a custom control contains a public type as array, the XAML compiler will generate this error.

The work-around for this issue will be to either change the array types to internal or use List generic type.

If you need more help, you can directly get in touch with me at navits at microsoft dot come and I can help out.

-Navit Saxena

Sorry for answering so late, I was on other developments and school exams :)
    The workaround you gave works like a charm, thank you very much !
    Wednesday, March 28, 2012 1:25 PM
  • I had the same error but I had not defined any arrays in my code. After commenting out 99% of my code I found the following line to be the culprit:

<LifeServ:DiaryInfo x:Key="DiaryInfoDataSource" />

Liffeserv is my service reference and diaryinfo is a data contract. This code was ported from SL5, and I used the data source there but not in WinRT

so I thing the error can also be caused by defining certain resources in XAML. If someone from MS can please investigate. if you cannot reproduce let me know 

sLedgem

Monday, April 16, 2012 6:08 AM
  • Hi,

Can you please share a small repro project with me at navits at microsoft dot com and I will investigate this on priority.

-Navit Saxena

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 11:56 PM
  • Hi Navit,

If you meant the issue that I had mentioned in the comments, just make a new project.  Add that property I had listed into your code behind and then in the XAML, add an ItemsControl whose ItemsSource binds to that property.  If I recall correctly, that will cause the error.

actiprosoftware.com - Professional WPF, Silverlight, and WinForms UI controls and components

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 12:20 AM
  • problem found, I defined a byte array in a service contract to store binary data

Obviously doesn't like that

sent you the repo

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 8:33 AM
  • Hi,

Can you please try your scenario on Visual Studio 2012 RC bits? You will need Windows8 Release Preview to install that. This issue should be fixed in this release.

-Navit Saxena

Thursday, May 31, 2012 8:46 PM