Which platform does my application support?

Question

• Hello

I am creating package for the first time by choosing from the "Store" menu in VS 2012 Express.

At the window of "Select and Configure Packages", I found that I could only choose X86. I could not select X64 and ARM, otherwise an error would occur saying "invalid vs_2_0 output semantic 'SV_TARGET' . 

I passed the test of X86. Does it mean that my application can only be downloaded and used by users who are using the same X86 device?

I appreciate you help very much.

Thank you in advance.

shenzy

Thursday, November 8, 2012 2:12 PM

Answers

• You will need to provide separate packages for x86 and ARM. You can run x86 packages on x64 systems, or you can provide a dedicated x64 package as well.

You can build for the different platforms by setting the platform you want in the configuration manager from the Build.Configuration Manager... menu and changing the Active solution platform to Win32, ARM, or x64.

--Rob

• Marked as answer by Jesse Jiang Thursday, November 15, 2012 2:47 AM
    Thursday, November 8, 2012 11:04 PM
    Owner
  • Your Windows 8 is 32-bit version? It should be able to package once by check all ARM, X86, X64. When you present to Windows Store you at least need to provide ARM and X86. Simply drag each latest building package files in App folders. That is three files for ARM, X86, X64.

Charlie Chang L

Friday, November 9, 2012 3:59 AM

All replies

• You will need to provide separate packages for x86 and ARM. You can run x86 packages on x64 systems, or you can provide a dedicated x64 package as well.

You can build for the different platforms by setting the platform you want in the configuration manager from the Build.Configuration Manager... menu and changing the Active solution platform to Win32, ARM, or x64.

--Rob

Thursday, November 8, 2012 11:04 PM
    Owner
  • Hi, Dear Rob

Thank you for your information.

Does it mean that every application needs to be compiled and uploaded to the store for three times at three different platforms? The check box is box check, not radio check, and it seems to possible to check all of three platform at the same time.  

So, it means that I need to buy another two different machines to support all platforms?

On the other hand, there are actually three different windows stores that different platform users will view different application list in his own store? Then how about the user reviews? Is user review also separated from each other?

shenzy

Friday, November 9, 2012 12:59 AM
  • Your Windows 8 is 32-bit version? It should be able to package once by check all ARM, X86, X64. When you present to Windows Store you at least need to provide ARM and X86. Simply drag each latest building package files in App folders. That is three files for ARM, X86, X64.

Charlie Chang L

Friday, November 9, 2012 3:59 AM