NetBooks with 1024x600 Resolution Require Registry Edit to Run Metro UI Apps

General discussion

• I am using a Dell Inspiron Mini 1012 Netbook with 1g RAM. Default resolution is 1024x600. Obviously installed the 32bit basic preview edit. Boot time is awesome, wake time is excellent, but setup at default resolution was cumbersome because of all the scrolling. Not the fault of Win8 but took from the initial experience.

Once configured my three year old was anxious to get his hands on it and said “my like Windows 8”. Unfortunately because of the poor resolution of the NetBook only about three tiles would launch, none of which were of interest to him. Being able to set an animated image as your login is pretty cool though so he ended up playing with the camera until I figured out what to do. Basically none of the Windows 8 experience other than the launch screen was of any use. No apps would run. You could click but nothing more would happen. No load screen, not flash, just a little wiggle of the tile.

I found this thread and got things working: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsdeveloperpreviewgeneral/thread/e3271441-bed2-4d77-9382-f94503ea0aeb

Here are the steps:

1. Launch RegEdit - I used Task Manager/New Task
    2. Press CTRL + F, or Edit/Find
    3. Enter “display1_DownscalingSupported” (without quotes obviously)
    4. Search for the entry with a default 0 - I found mine in HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\...\0000; I also found another entry with a default 1 in the HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Video\...
    5. Change the default 0 to a 1
    6. Close out of RegEdit
    7. Reboot
    8. Change display setting to a higher resolution
    9. Launch Metro UI
    10. Launch apps
    11. Enjoy the new experience

Another little tip that has excited my little one is the setting a simple local login pin so he can log into his own account without having to change his Windows Live password to something less secure.

Gruvisoft

ThatsBadAss!

Friday, September 16, 2011 4:19 PM