Create table script.... RRS feed

• Question

• When I right click on a table and click Script Table as --> Create to -->  it scripts out:

CREATE TABLE [dbo].[Test](            

[FirstName] [varchar](50) NULL,            

[LastName] [varchar](50) NULL,            

[Address] [varchar](50()  NULL

SET ANSI_PADDING OFF

ALTER TABLE [dbo].[Test] ADD [City] [varchar](50) NULL

Why is there an Alter table statement?  I’m assuming this table was altered at some point but why is SQL not just doing a create table and how is it keeping track of these changes?

• Edited by FJTexas Tuesday, July 21, 2015 3:52 PM
    Tuesday, July 21, 2015 3:49 PM

Answers

• The ANSI_PADDING setting is saved by column, and apparently City has a different setting from the rest.

Now, ANSI_PADDING OFF is a legacy setting you should never use, so the correct thing here would be to remove the command SET ANSI_PADDING OFF.

The effect of ANSI_PADDING OFF is that trailing spaces in varchar data and trailing zero bytes in varbinary data are stripped off when data is saved. With ANSI_PADDING ON, the spaces/zeroes are retained. Note that the setting does not apply to nvarchar, nor to the MAX types.

There are functionality in SQL Server that requires ANSI_PADDING to be ON, os if you have columns with the wrong setting, you will sooner or later run into problem.

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se
    • Marked as answer by Eric__Zhang Wednesday, July 29, 2015 2:00 AM
    Tuesday, July 21, 2015 10:07 PM

All replies

• My only guess would be that some of the columns were created with SET ANSI_PADDING OFF setting in effect. This is very bad, actually.

Check my article on this topic

SQL Server: SET ANSI_PADDING Setting and Its Importance

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

My TechNet articles

Tuesday, July 21, 2015 3:53 PM
  • No I tested it with different ANSI_PADDING settings.
    Tuesday, July 21, 2015 3:59 PM
  • Is the problem with this particular table or any table? 

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

My TechNet articles

Tuesday, July 21, 2015 4:06 PM
  • The ANSI_PADDING setting is saved by column, and apparently City has a different setting from the rest.

Now, ANSI_PADDING OFF is a legacy setting you should never use, so the correct thing here would be to remove the command SET ANSI_PADDING OFF.

The effect of ANSI_PADDING OFF is that trailing spaces in varchar data and trailing zero bytes in varbinary data are stripped off when data is saved. With ANSI_PADDING ON, the spaces/zeroes are retained. Note that the setting does not apply to nvarchar, nor to the MAX types.

There are functionality in SQL Server that requires ANSI_PADDING to be ON, os if you have columns with the wrong setting, you will sooner or later run into problem.

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se
    • Marked as answer by Eric__Zhang Wednesday, July 29, 2015 2:00 AM
    Tuesday, July 21, 2015 10:07 PM