none
Exactly what can Team Members change Enterprise Project Type tasks?

Question

• I'm still learning the ins-and-outs of Project Online.  The biggest question is this, what fields can a Team Member modify so that when an approver approves it it will automatically update the schedule?  

For example: A Team Member updates the Start and Finish Dates for a task they've been assigned.  Will their changes be automatically applied to the master schedule once the Project Manager approves the request or will the Project Manager have to make changes to the Start and Finish Dates manually?

What fields will PWA automatically update after a request approval and what fields will not be automatically updated?

Let me know if I need to explain myself more.

Friday, February 09, 2018 6:30 PM

Answers

• In General, team members can modify the 'assignment' level fields that have been added to the view. Once approved, these get updated in the schedule automatically, and in addition the project scheduling engine will perform any calculations needed.

Some of the fields are work, actual work, remaining work, duration, remaining duration,start and finish.

It is advisable to zero in on the update mechanism and then  include those fields only to let team members update.

Cheers,

Prasanna Adavi, Project MVP

Blog:   Podcast:    Twitter:    LinkedIn:   

• Marked as answer by Martinro73 Wednesday, February 14, 2018 5:08 PM
    Saturday, February 10, 2018 12:01 AM

All replies

• In General, team members can modify the 'assignment' level fields that have been added to the view. Once approved, these get updated in the schedule automatically, and in addition the project scheduling engine will perform any calculations needed.

Some of the fields are work, actual work, remaining work, duration, remaining duration,start and finish.

It is advisable to zero in on the update mechanism and then  include those fields only to let team members update.

Cheers,

• Marked as answer by Martinro73 Wednesday, February 14, 2018 5:08 PM
    Saturday, February 10, 2018 12:01 AM
  • Thank you for taking time to respond.  Where could i find a list of all the fields considered "assignment" level fields?  What would prevent these fields from automatically updating the master schedule?

For instance, I have an EPT based project that I've used to test updating the start and finish dates for a task.  I submit the changes as a Team Member then I approve them as the approver.  When I review the schedule these start and finish dates changes were NOT automatically changed on the master schedule.  

What am I missing?

Monday, February 12, 2018 5:02 PM
  • The easiest way to  lookup 'assignment' level fields is to look at the view setting for the view being used under "My Tasks" (PWA settings >> Manage Views).

When you refer to a Master Schedule, do you mean a Master project with sub projects inserted? For now, I will assume you are just talking about a single schedule and not a master project.

When a team member submits an update and approver approves it, the update is just written to the draft tables. the project schedule needs to be opened and published for the calculation to happen. 

Cheers,

Monday, February 12, 2018 5:30 PM
  • I responded with the wrong account so the posts from "Ron Martin" are actually from me.  Just for clarity I'm going to repost my responses using the original account I used to ask my question...

Let me give a specific walk-through scenario that demonstrates what I'm seeing.  Walk through assumes two users...1 with a Project Professional license and 1 with a Project Essentials license.  The Project Professional user will be the project manager.  The Project Essentials users will be a Team Member on the sample project.

As the Project Manager:

1. Create a new Enterprise Project.
    2. Add the Project Manager and Team Member as project members.
    3. Add one task line to the project (any subject will work) and then assign the Team Member as the resource assigned to the task.
    4. Publish the changes.
    5. Close and Check-in the project.

As the Team Member:

1. Login and view your tasks.
    2. Find the one task assigned to the Team member.
    3. Change the Start date from today's date to one week from now.
    4. Change the duration to 24 h.
    5. Save the changes.
    6. Send the updates to the Approver.

As the Project Manager:

1. Login and view approvals.
    2. Approve the task update we just sent as the Team Member in the steps above.
    3. Leave Approvals and go to Projects.
    4. Select the project and open it for editing.

At this point, in edit mode, I'm assuming the approved task changes should be visible to the Project Manager but in each and every instance I check this scenario the start date remains unchanged and set to its original value.  Do you have the same experience?  Am I missing something?

I have also walked through this scenario, opened the project for editing, saved it, published it and checked it in but still see no changes to the start date.

Monday, February 12, 2018 8:55 PM
  • Ron - have you taken a look at your Approvals History page, if you check for status updates you will see the updates  from your team member that have been approved by you. You may also see their published status - you can select items that have been approved and elect to publish them to the plan in this interface. If you follow this approach you should see the updates applied to the plan when you next open it.

I am not sure why this is but it is a "feature" I have observed in the past. 

I would normally expect for a message to be displayed when the schedule is opened for editing to the effect that "updates submitted by team members have been approved do you wish to update them to the plan" - apologies I am doing all this from memory rather than looking at a live instance of Project Pro or Project Online.

Let me know how you get on.

With good wishes,

Dominic

Microsoft Project Evangelist

Twitter:   LinkedIn:    Web:   

Wednesday, February 14, 2018 5:26 PM
  • Dominic,

First, I started a parallel thread for this question because I realized I may need to give points to someone else for the answer to this secondary question.  The other thread is here.  If you place your next response on THAT thread I can ensure you will get points for any helpful answers.

With that out of the way, I looked at what you suggested.  I went to Approvals History.  I noticed the task that I approved and when I checked its checkbox the "Publish" button was disabled.  The task, according to the history, was published but the odd thing I do see is that there is an "Info" column on this approval history page and this info column says "incomplete".

Would the incomplete have anything to do with why I didn't see this change automatically appear on the schedule?

REMEMBER: Please answer this on the newer thread which poses the same question here.

Wednesday, February 14, 2018 5:57 PM