Does Win8 on ARM support 'classic' desktop? What about 'classic' desktop apps?

All replies

• The most disturbing quote from the first article:

"Microsoft isn’t commenting on this or clarifying this issue (I asked)."

If the task of recompiling Windows apps to run on ARM machines is truly as simple as, say, recompiling a 32 bit app to make it work as a 64 bit x64 app, then the likelihood is that software authors will simply be porting their apps over to the ARM side that way at least at first.  In short, one can imagine existing desktop apps will come out (at least first) as ARM desktop apps.

I hadn't looked carefully at the platform choices in Visual Studio 11 Express before now...  Now that I do I only see Win32  in there by default for C++ projects, though ARM is available along with x64 in the New Project Platform dialog.

Unfortunately, Visual Studio Express isn't sophisticated enough to allow me to try compiling my current desktop Windows apps, and I don't have an ARM system on which it could be tested anyway.

-Noel

Monday, September 26, 2011 5:48 PM
  • While I can compile the one of Hilo project using the ARM platform, I cannot debug it as I have no ARM version of Windows nor ARM hardware to test.

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP
    Monday, September 26, 2011 6:46 PM