none
Custom container base images

Question

• I was poking around the setup scripts for containers (http://aka.ms/setupcontainers) and found that its downloading a wim file for the base image. Is there anything special with that wim file? Is there any info on how to make your own with more/less features installed?

I'd love to hear more on how the base images actually works :)

Wednesday, August 19, 2015 8:41 PM

Answers

• You cannot create your own base image - but you can create your own image layers.  

If you create a container using the base image, you can make any changes to that container and then capture the container as an image.  The best thing is - because this is not a base image you can distribute it easily.

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use.

• Marked as answer by aL3891 Wednesday, August 19, 2015 8:50 PM
    Wednesday, August 19, 2015 8:44 PM

All replies

• You cannot create your own base image - but you can create your own image layers.  

If you create a container using the base image, you can make any changes to that container and then capture the container as an image.  The best thing is - because this is not a base image you can distribute it easily.

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use.

• Marked as answer by aL3891 Wednesday, August 19, 2015 8:50 PM
    Wednesday, August 19, 2015 8:44 PM
  • I see, is that just the case right now or something final?

It would be nice to be able to permanently remove windows features to make the base image smaller (for downloading over slow networks for example)

Another reason for this would be patching, it would be nice to be able to create your own fully patched image instead of creating derived images with all the patches that users would have to install.

anywho, not a deal breaker, i'm just kicking the tires :)

Wednesday, August 19, 2015 8:54 PM
  • This is our first public build - so it is safe to assume that nothing is final, and all feedback is appreciated :-)

Wednesday, August 19, 2015 8:56 PM
  • I understand :)

If you do decide to disallow making a custom base wim, have you considered putting it on the iso similar to nano server? (or generating it from the wims on the iso) that would also be helpful for folks with crappier connections.

I suppose there is nothing preventing me from mounting the base image wim in dism and putting in stuff/patches either correct?

Wednesday, August 19, 2015 9:09 PM
  • I am guessing that it would not be out of the question to see some type of image repository in the future. 

Such as something like Docker Hub for Windows containers.

Even if the base image is only provided by MSFT at this time.

Brian Ehlert
    http://ITProctology.blogspot.com
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.

Wednesday, August 19, 2015 10:45 PM