password for anonymous user RRS feed

• Question

• User-1569093213 posted

Hello all,

I have one application which is developed to update password for anonymous user in active directory.It is working fine.

but the issue is when we assign anonymous user for particular website on IIS password in metabase is not getting updated,

Password for anonymous user is not getting updated.it takes older one.so it does not allow to login.

e.g :: if password in active directory is lets say 1234 and same on IIS for first time.

if i run app and if i set password 1111 then it gets updated on active directory but not in iis.

IIS again asking for password for anonymous user.

Friday, June 15, 2018 9:36 AM

All replies

• User475983607 posted
    How is it possible to have more than one anonymous user account?
    Saturday, June 16, 2018 7:33 PM
  • User465171450 posted

IIS must be updated separately when the AD password is changed as they are not connected and IIS will be unaware when the password has been changed

Saturday, June 16, 2018 11:01 PM
  • User-1569093213 posted

So is there any option to update password on iis once it get updated on AD or how to connect iis and AD so that change made in AD will get reflected to iis automatically like in my case change in password will automatically get reflected to IIS?

Wednesday, June 20, 2018 8:43 AM
  • User753101303 posted

Hi,

Ask rather in a forum at https://forums.iis.net/ as it is rather an IIS feature. You may have this but it's been a while and I can only find only old articles about that.

Edit:: according to https://forums.iis.net/t/1158632.aspx?Allow+IIS+to+Control+Password it was retired in IIS7. It is perhaps updated on a regular basis by default ?

Wednesday, June 20, 2018 9:15 AM
  • User-1569093213 posted

I have one server with multiple sites deployed on it.i also have multiple anonymous users for multiple websites but the issue is when i update the password for anonymous users then it gets updated only on AD and not on iis.so how to proceed in it or is there any provision to synch up the iis and AD? please tell me as early as possible if there is any solution for same.

Thanking you

Wednesday, June 20, 2018 10:33 AM
  • User475983607 posted

I have one server with multiple sites deployed on it.i also have multiple anonymous users for multiple websites but the issue is when i update the password for anonymous users then it gets updated only on AD and not on iis.so how to proceed in it or is there any provision to synch up the iis and AD? please tell me as early as possible if there is any solution for same.

The question does not make sense.  The anonymous account in IIS us well anonymous and it allows anyone to access IIS resources without asking for a password.

My best guess is you really have a local service account located on a web server and  need a domain account so the web app can write to a DB or file I/O.

Get with your network admin and ask for assistance.

Wednesday, June 20, 2018 10:44 AM
  • User753101303 posted

Maybe https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/iis/configuration/system.webserver/security/authentication/anonymousauthentication#sample-code to do that programmatically on the IIS side.

For now my understanding is that you have some kind of Policy that requires changing the IIS anonymous password on a regular basis ?

Wednesday, June 20, 2018 11:13 AM