AppBar Theme Specific icons.

Question

• Hi,

I have been looking at the way of having custom png images in app bar icons and found it from the sample.

I wonder that accept icon displays properly in light theme(The theme set in the sample app.). But if i change the light-theme to dark theme, The icon displayed is just a circle.

Could some one help me on this please.

Thanks & Regards Tejaswi Chandrapatla

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 3:00 PM

Answers

• You determine if the app uses light or dark themes, so you can create icons appropriately.

The user can override this to choose high contrast modes, so you need to also provide those. Since the sample uses the light theme its accept.png is designed for that theme. To switch to dark theme you'll need to update the png.

--Rob

Thursday, November 14, 2013 5:32 AM

All replies

• Use a white png instead of a black one. Black on black is incredibly cool but not very readable.

You should also provide alternate assets for high contrast and scaled modes. See http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh965372.aspx

If you use font symbols instead of bitmaps then they'll draw colors from the foreground and background colors so you don't have to deal with that specifically

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 3:38 PM
  • I need to use the icons that are not in font symbols like face book. The sample already have two variants of icons

accept.contrast-black.png    accept.contrast-white.png  accept.png. And in the folder named strings,having rejson files, there are no mappings related to images.

Could you let me know how to map them accordingly.

Thanks & Regards Tejaswi Chandrapatla

Thursday, November 14, 2013 5:15 AM
  • You determine if the app uses light or dark themes, so you can create icons appropriately.

The user can override this to choose high contrast modes, so you need to also provide those. Since the sample uses the light theme its accept.png is designed for that theme. To switch to dark theme you'll need to update the png.

--Rob

Thursday, November 14, 2013 5:32 AM