none
Excel Hyperlinks - OS compatability issues? RRS feed

• Question

• I have am Excel 2013 spreadsheet with hyperlinks stored on OneDrive. The hyperlinks connect to subfolders and Word 2013 supporting documents, also stored on OneDrive. (The files being on OneDrive is not relevant. This issue happens with files stored on my hard drive also.)

The hyperlinks in my Excel spreadsheet are all programmatically created using VBA. I have some understanding how hyperlinks work and I use relative addressing when creating the hyperlinks. It's a pretty simple structure. A single folder called "Matters", with a sub-folder called "_Templates". The Excel spreadsheet is saved in the "_Templates" folder and connects to other folders under the Matters folder and Word documents stored in those other folders. The Hyperlink base property in the Excel file is empty, so default relative addressing applies.

The Matter folder on OneDrive is set to keep copies of its content on my local computers. I have two local computers using OneDrive: (1) a Toshiba Laptop running Win 8.1 64bit with update 1 and MS Office 2013 professional 32bit, and (2) an Asus VivoTab 8 tablet, running Windows 8.1 32bit with update 1 and Microsoft Office 2013 32bit that came with the Asus tablet.

When I create hyperlinks in the open Excel spreadsheet while on my Asus VivoTab (Win 8.1 32bit), the hyperlinks to both folders and Word documents work just fine. And when I subsequently open the same Excel spreadsheet on my Toshiba laptop (Win 8.1 64bit), the hyperlinks created while the Excel file was open on the Asus VivoTab all work just fine.

When I create hyperlinks in the open Excel spreadsheet while on my Toshiba laptop (Win 8.1 64bit), the hyperlinks to both folders and Word documents work just fine. But when I subsequently open that same Excel spreadsheet on my Asus VivoTab 8 (Win 8.1 32bit), the hyperlinks to files that were created in the Excel spreadsheet when it was open on the Toshiba laptop (Win 8.1 64bit) do not work. I get the "File not found" message. Yet, the hyperlinks to folders that were created in the Excel file when it was open on the Toshiba laptop do work when the Excel file is open on the Asus VivoTab.

As a test, I copied my Matters folder structure and its files to my office network. When I open the Excel spreadsheet from my office network on my Office desktop (Win 7 64bit, Office 2013 64bit), all the hyperlinks work. So the hyperlink set up appears to be implemented correctly.

Why would file hyperlinks created in Excel on the Toshiba Win 8.1 64bit machine fail when opening the Excel spreadsheet on the Asus VivoTab Win 8.1 32bit machine, yet hyperlinks to folders still work on  both machines?

Given the scenarios I’ve worked through it would seem that there may be an incompatibility with Excel file hyperlinks created on 64bit windows 8.1 machines and their subsequent use on 32bit Windows 8.1 machines?

Any advice or pointers would be appreciated. This is really messing my plans up :>(

phillfri

Tuesday, January 27, 2015 1:14 AM

All replies

• Hi Phillfri,

>>But when I subsequently open that same Excel spreadsheet on my Asus VivoTab 8 (Win 8.1 32bit), the hyperlinks to files that were created in the Excel spreadsheet when it was open on the Toshiba laptop (Win 8.1 64bit) do not work. <<

Did this issue occur when you create the hyperlink manully? Or could you check the whether the file which the hyperlink point to eixts?

If the issue also occured when you create the hyperlink manully, this issue is not relative to developing. I suggest that you get more effective response from Office community.

Regards & Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, January 29, 2015 2:34 AM