Installation voids your warranty RRS feed

• Question

• Please be aware that before you install ‘Mango’ on your retail device, it can’t be stressed enough that installing this update:

• 1. voids your warranty with your Mobile Operator (MO)
    • 2. during the time your phone has this trial OS image applied, your MO will not be able to provide support
    • At the end of the program, you can and should use the phone backup that you will be taking as part of this update process. This backup will return you to your current, MO-supported state, from which you can then update to the final retail version of ’Mango’.

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 11:05 PM

All replies

• Erm, so if we were to install it, then uninstall it, OEMs and MOs can tell that the device has been flashed?
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 8:34 AM
  • When the phone is restored to pre-dev-mango state, do we get our warranty coverage back? :)
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 3:32 PM
  • Yes, returning your phone back to it's 'original' MO/OEM image returns you to a warrantied state.

The basic idea here is that, while you are participating in this program, you are not on an image that is owned/maintained by your MO/OEM - so they are unable to help you if anything goes badly. Once you restore your phone back into it's state before you installed the pre-release, the phone is once again back in a place where they can help you.
    Friday, July 1, 2011 1:59 PM
  • Yes, returning your phone back to it's 'original' MO/OEM image returns you to a warrantied state.

The basic idea here is that, while you are participating in this program, you are not on an image that is owned/maintained by your MO/OEM - so they are unable to help you if anything goes badly. Once you restore your phone back into it's state before you installed the pre-release, the phone is once again back in a place where they can help you.
    Perfect, thanks Cliff.

Might i add how refreshing it is to see Sr leadership so involved in the community.
    Friday, July 1, 2011 2:18 PM
  • But Microsoft supports 1 device per developer, if for any reason during this update the device gets bricked. Am I right?
    Friday, July 1, 2011 6:50 PM
  • But Microsoft supports 1 device per developer, if for any reason during this update the device gets bricked. Am I right?

Correct; we can only support one problem device per developer (in supported countries) over the course of this pre-release.
    Sunday, July 3, 2011 4:56 AM
  • Might i add how refreshing it is to see Sr leadership so involved in the community

I'm far from 'senior leadership' - I can only assume you mean JoeB's involvement. :)

That being said, we all want to see the dev community succeed - apps are the lifeblood of the phone platform, and developers are the genesis of that lifeblood. Thank you all.
    Sunday, July 3, 2011 4:59 AM
  • Hi,

How does one go about getting "warranty" work done?

I have a Samsung Focus purchased in November from Rogers.  I have been running the Mango releases since the day they came out.  This morning I grabbed my phone and it told me that my battery was critically low.  So I thought I would plug it in when I got to work.  I went to use my phone after some time of it being plugged in but it wouldn't turn on.  I tried doing a hardware reset (power, volume down, camera) but it didn't do anything either.  I pulled and replaced the battery, still nothing. I did this with the phone plugged in and unplugged. 

I am pretty sure for some reason my phone has stopped charging which is likely a hardware problem (or not, I suppose).  Unfortunately I have Mango installed which means I don't have a warranty with Rogers according to the current warranty rules.

So back to my original question; what do I do?

Cheers,
    Clint

P.S. Mango is awesome!
    Friday, August 5, 2011 6:23 PM
  • Happened to me, also. I wasn't running Mango,but it doesn't matter in this case, since the phone wouldn't turn on.
    The AT&T store verified the battery was bad, and replaced it. Worked fine then.
    If you have wifi and data turned on, you pretty much need to plug in every night, or your battery is exhausted by morning, even in standby mode.
    I turned wifi and data off, battery holds charge forever (relatively).
    Really would like a battery usage log, so I could figure out which app(s) are eating the most power.
    Monday, August 15, 2011 6:58 PM
  • can anyone help me with mango?
    My phone was upgraded to mango beta.
    It was done before i owned it.
    Mango works fine, but i Can not connect to my computer win7 64 bit.
    I have zune 4.8 installed and I was able to get the pre mango state folde from the previous owner.
    I have also installed the samsung drivers from another site and ran them.
    I have samsung focus ver 1.3
    I would like to synch with zune but most of all would like to revert so I may be able to upgrade to mango full release when it is ava.
    So how do I get this phone to mate with my machine?
    oh and yes i updated the zune after it wasinstalled and I have done 2 hard resets??
    I am baffled.
    please help if you can.
    Saturday, August 20, 2011 12:39 PM
  • How does one go about getting "warranty" work done?

I would like to know this as well.
    Now I'm not sure if what happen was caused by Mango or not, but I had been running the latest build of Mango on my T-Mobile HTC HD7 phone since Aug 11th, everything was fine and running great until yesterday (Aug 21st) when I went to use the video camera feature all of a sudden my phone crashed and when I rebooted it it came up with a "Storage Card Not Working" error. I am unable to do anything with my phone currently and I'm unsure what I can do at this point.... Any help would be great.

-Mike
    Monday, August 22, 2011 11:51 PM