Patch Bug: Update Windows 8.1 Patches FilePicker can Play MP4,WMV Video

Question

• 1. Activated Original Windows 8.1 Pro in NUC Core i5. My Metro app on Windows Store can run perfect.

2. Update Win8.1 by auto downloaded the patches My app did not play video .mov and .wmv

3. All thumbnail of video files were not displayed in folder.

4. I installed and run Media Preview Configuration software all thumbnail were displayed.

5. My metro app still not run .mov and .wmv.

6. Downloaded and installed Quicktime 7, my metro app can run .mp4 files now but .wmv file still return null type.

7. Any reasons that can run .mp4 but can not run .wmv?

8. My metro app can run on Surface without any problems.  

Sunday, January 4, 2015 7:38 PM

All replies

• Hi Charlie,

As I can see your another question post on the forum: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsapps/en-US/5f226859-668f-4514-97f3-7ea9f1691fa1/after-this-latest-windows-81-upgrade-my-app-does-not-work?forum=winappswithnativecode

I believe this could be a hardware issue instead of coding issue as you mentioned surface works fine but Dell machine does not work. Looks like your PC's codec part is broken. I've also see some discussions about specific hardware does not support some media formats.

I would suggest you to open a support ticket for a more close one-one support, our engineer will look into the hardware level for you to see what exactly cause the problem: https://dev.windows.com/en-us/community/support

Thanks for your understanding.

--James

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, January 5, 2015 2:48 AM
  • I think it is Windows patch bug. My surprise is that there were so many users reported but still no change. You can search web to find the video thumbnail lose in Windows 8.1. I even find a solution to delete iconcache* files to get thumbnail to recovered.

My latest testing is a brand new Intel NUC with Windows 8.1 Pro installed. So far everything is fine. Then Win8.1 asked to upgrade, I run it and restarted. The video thumbnail lost in Windows Explorer. This can be simply tested. 

Unfortunately Click "Start request" button returned the same page. Do not know what is wrong.

Have a technical support representative contact you.

Response within one business day.

<button class="oasp-submitbutton mt15 lineh14 pt1 pb6" id="supportcontractflag" name="supportcontractflag" style="font-family:'Segoe UI Semibold', 'Segoe UI', 'Lucida Grande', Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;margin-left:0px;height:24px;padding-left:12px;padding-right:12px;overflow:visible;border:1px solid rgb(255, 255, 255);cursor:pointer;font-size:13px;line-height:14px;margin-top:15px !important;padding-bottom:6px !important;color:#ffffff;background-color:#0072c6;" type="submit" value="submit">Start request</button>
    Monday, January 5, 2015 1:30 PM
  • After tried several times, I entered the page, and the support site asked me a payment method.

I helped to find Windows' bugs and asked me to pay for the support?

Such a good service. 

Monday, January 5, 2015 1:53 PM
  • Hi Charlie,

Thanks for your feedback and we appreciate that you may help us find a potential issue for Updates.

However as you can see my previous posts, I kept my dev environment updated as yours and I cannot find any problem on playing MP4 or WMA media. This let me consider the problem could be a hardware issue instead of the coding issue. You also mentioned Surface works fine.

For this reason I suggest you to open a support ticket if you think its necessary, our support engineers will look closer for you to see what exactly the problem is, on your hardware or on the update. Personally I think it could be more efficient than the forum (actually the forum is dev forum for coding related issues)

You may also want to ask your hardware provider what's wrong with the hardware, let they to check if the hardware does not accept the update.

Besides, as I know if finally our support engineer think your issue is related with update, you will not be charged.

Thanks for your understanding.

--James

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, January 6, 2015 7:03 AM