none
MS project 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• In my project plan in MS project 2010, there are two independent task which are done by same resource. lets say (A and B tasks). task A comes in initial stage of planing while task B comes at later stage in planning. but task need to be done first due to some reason. as these two task are independent, I can not show dependency. I tried to increase priority of task B but still task A is scheduled first. How can I make task B to be scheduled earlier than task A?
    Saturday, February 27, 2016 5:34 PM

All replies

• Utkarsh,

You say that task A needs to be done first but yet there is no dependency between the two tasks. That doesn't make sense. Then in the last sentence you want to task B to be scheduled earlier than task A. That also doesn't make sense is task A needs to be done first. Furthermore, if task A come in the initial stage of planning while task B comes at a later stage, then why would you want to have task B scheduled earlier than task A?

There is something basically wrong with the logic and until that is clarified, we can't be of much help.

John

Saturday, February 27, 2016 8:23 PM
  • Hello John,

I will give you actual scenario. there are 2 additional requirements received from customer during execution of project. these two additional requirements were subtasks of the already planned tasks (4 and 9) which are done. (there are 14 tasks(summary task) in my project and each task has some subtasks).  these 2 new subtasks have to be planned. 1st sub task has become 4.4 and 2nd subtask has become 9.5. these 2 subtask will be done by same resource and these subtasks are independent to each other. As 4.4 subtask is comes before  6.5 and MS Project by default plan 4.4 first. 9.5 task belongs to peer testing, which is high priority activity and needs to be done before 4.4.

how to set high priority for 9.5  where it could be planned earlier than 4.4 in MS Project? I have tried to do it by increasing priority (Task Information -> priority) but nothing change in MS Project planning.

regards

Sunday, February 28, 2016 11:02 AM
  • Utkarsh,

First of all, summary lines are not tasks, they are simply a summary of the performance tasks under them.

Second, the Priority field is only used to help the leveling feature to resolve overallocations if two tasks are competing for the same resource. In your scenario that is not the case, task 4.4 and 9.5 are separated in time because that's the way your plan is set up. If you want task 9.5 to be performed before task 4.4 you will need to either change the network logic such that task 9.5 is earlier or manually move it to be earlier.

Hope this helps.

John

Sunday, February 28, 2016 4:17 PM
  • It sounds like you don't have proper network logic. If there are new requirements for 4 and 9 then they're not done. If they're summaries they're going to reflect the progress on the new subtasks as well as the old ones. Just forget about the summary tasks. New task 4.4 should be a successor of old task 4.3. It should also have all of 4.3's successors as well, probably. New task 9.5 could have 9.4 and 4.3 as predecessors and 4.4 as a successor.
    Monday, February 29, 2016 12:39 AM
  • You can always set multiple predecessors for a task, if that helps. But like John said, there is likely to be something wrong in your planning. You can always set multiple predecessors or use constraints if applicable.

Jonas Hendrickx

Wednesday, March 9, 2016 6:48 AM
  • Hi Utkarsh,

To me it appears that you are relying on Project's leveling engine to sequence the two tasks competing for the same resource.  You have set task priorities and seen no impact.

Is the leveling order (in the Leveling Options pane) set to "Priority, Standard"?  If not, your priority settings will be ignored in leveling. 

Wednesday, March 9, 2016 2:40 PM