none
MSDN Online Documentation (new format) RRS feed

• Question

• The MSDN Online Documentation in the new format is very annoying - it always comes up in German and I have to switch to the CLASSIC view to select English. Have I overlooked something or does Microsoft still think that everyone in a specific country speaks the home language?

Monday, December 14, 2009 10:15 AM

All replies

• The MSDN Online Documentation in the new format is very annoying - it always comes up in German and I have to switch to the CLASSIC view to select English. Have I overlooked something or does Microsoft still think that everyone in a specific country speaks the home language?

Yes, it's really annoying. I hope MSDN can improve it.
    Tuesday, July 27, 2010 8:38 AM
  • I'd be happy to dig into this further with you.  A couple of initial thoughts:

1) MSDN Library no longer does geo-detection, so we shouldn't be automatically switching to any language based on where we think you are accessing the site from.  Can you give me a URL that you expect to see in English that is instead being displayed in another language?

2) The Lightweight view does include a locale selector (top right of each page, next to 'Preferences'). You shouldn't have to switch to Classic to switch the display language.

Thanks,
    Eric

Program Manager | MSDN & TechNet Library Team
    Friday, August 27, 2010 2:42 PM
  • It would be really nice if we could have a library view like we had some months back...

Classic View

TOC in left pane

TOC synced to topic being viewed

I very often don't know what class or class library or whatever something belongs to, and being able to follow the TOC back up to the "root" of what I'm looking at has been very helpful.

I know my "Southern" accent doesn't come through on the forum, but "Down South" we have a very apt expression: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

And until recently, the library "weren't broke"...

Thursday, March 22, 2012 5:02 PM
  • Hi Bill

Now that we're informed that the classic view is going to be discontinued you might want to add your vote to this thread:
      http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/libraryfeedback/thread/bbfb492b-4c85-4e8d-ab44-423c4050089e/

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

Sunday, December 23, 2012 7:28 AM