Windows Phone 7.5: Updating OS from Beta 2 to RTM RRS feed

• Question

• This morning, we started rolling out the ‘Mango’ updates to around the world; at the same time, developers can all update their devices to Windows Phone 7.5 without having to fall back to the backup taken at the beginning of the provisioning process. This update is being made available to those running build 7712 on a retail device that was updated to ‘Mango’ using the provisioning tool we published to Connect a couple months ago.

To receive the update, connect your retail device to your faithful Zune client. The path to RTM will be applied in two parts:

• First, your device will receive the update that takes your phone from build 7712 to 7720
      • Next, the update will clean-up the pre-production provisioning and repoint your device to the production update servers

Once provisioned back to the production servers, your device is then ready and capable to receive updates specific to your device/carrier combination, making it possible for you to receive such updates as drivers and firmware. If your device had drivers made available over the summer, you should see them immediately; and in the coming weeks, you should see the Windows Phone 7.5 device updates from your carrier as they are available for your device. Check out the ‘Where’s My Phone Update?’ page for the latest global status info.

This is great news!

At this point, you’re back in a happy place and able to be supported once more by your carrier. And even better, thanks to some extra work by our engineering teams, this means that most of you will not need to restore back to 739x, and that your data and settings will remain intact – meaning no saved games.

There are a few caveats to this process that it is worth noting:

• Download Zune 4.8: For best results, you should be running version 4.8.2345.0 of the Zune client. To update your Zune client, click on ‘Settings’ -> ‘Software’ -> ‘General’, and click the ‘Check for Updates’ button.
      • Support scoped to 7712: This de-provisioning process has only been tested on devices updated (a) using the provided provisioning tool and (b) running the pre-release build (7712) released via the pre-release servers. Folks still running on build 7661 should be provided the 7712 update as part of this update process. All other pre-release configurations are untested and unsupported.
      • Phone Backup and Disk Space: The first step of the update to 7720 is for Zune to perform another backup of your phone. As such, make a copy of your 7390 backup before you start on the update process (you may still yet need it) and be sure you have enough free disk space on your computer to support the backup.
      • Driver updates may trail: The dev de-provisioning process occurs separately from the Windows Phone 7.5 update process for the general customer base on the production servers. Once provisioned back to the production servers, you may still have to wait to be eligible for your device-specific updates. As such, you may still experience some quirks with your device until you receive device and carrier-specific updates tuned for your specific device. We will try to provide additional data here to allow you to know when you’re retail device is finally ‘done’, but I don’t have that information to share at this point.

But wait! Protect that backup!

Lastly, in the known issues category, it has been observed that a small number of users may not receive device-specific updates released in the July timeframe. As such, you should absolutely be sure to hold onto that copy of your 739x backup before you begin the update process and continue to keep it in a safe place.

Windows Phone updates are cumulative in nature, and assume the presence of those that came before them. As such, getting a later update without the earlier one can put you in a less than ideal place. For folks who fail to receive a prior update, they may need to resort to using the 7390 backup in order to receive these updates. While there will be a few folks that this won’t help move forward to a supported state, it’s best to be prepared in case it happens to you.

Closing out the OS Beta

With this post, we’re officially declaring this program closed down. J I am no longer processing Connect invitation requests, and I will also be removing the provisioning binary files from the Connect server.

And, on behalf of the Windows Phone Division, I would like to take a moment to extend a heart-felt thanks to everyone that collectively participated in the ‘Mango’ OS Pre-Release. We updated over 75,000 devices over the past three months. Thank you for your patience in getting the invites and working through a process that was quite manual this go around. I’d also like to thank our App Hub support team that helped troubleshoot issues with updates and missing invites; and thanks to the engineering team (John Menter and Andrew Brown, specifically) for monitoring the boards and troubleshooting your issues; and a warm thanks to our active App Hub users for supporting your peers.

Thank you to all for helping to test the update process, yielding a better experience for our customers; and thank you for getting your apps built and tested in time for our Mango roll-out. It’s been great having you on board for the road to Windows Phone 7.5!

Most of all – thank you for being a Windows Phone developer, and collectively supporting our platform.

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 5:31 PM

All replies

• Great news Cliff. Thank you for all the hard work MSFT WP7 teams have put into this.  You all did a great job! I happened to be one of the ones who rolled back to 7390.  It seems the update is going to dev beta phones first.  Any hope for myself and other people for getting the update quickly or are we on the same time table as the rest of the world?
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 5:44 PM
  • Thanks Cliff and thanks to all the folks on the Windows Phone Dev team! :)
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 5:55 PM
  • Just installed the final bits at beta 2 refresh device (LG-E900).
    Very smooth update - no problems.

Thanks for the great job!
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 5:56 PM
  • It's great that we don't have to go back to NoDo to update. I know dev devices are not meant for normal use, but... I know you know that people can't just not use these devices, especially with Mango stuff!

My LG E900 update is going on the third update cycle, don't expect anything to go wrong and soon I'll be happily Mangoing on. Thanks to the whole team!
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 5:58 PM
  • What is the final OS version for mango RTM?
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 6:43 PM
  • What is the final OS version for mango RTM?

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 7:39 PM
  • Cool very painless on my Test Phone, now I have 7.10.7720.68.  Not sure what I am waiting for next, as I don't have a Carrier.

I Guess I Just need the Visual Studio Phone RTM(Mango) Tools  now
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 8:42 PM
  • Just updated my HTC Trophy on Verizon to 7720.68  and  I have NO DATA service at all.   I have tried toggling data in the cellular settings and done a *228 etc..

No DATA at all.  No 3G indicator ..  Phone service works fine just no data.

I'm restoring to the backup since I need this phone.

So..  I guess point is.. its not all painless.  YMMV.
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 10:43 PM
  • Thanks for the post Cliff, I think a lot of people were hoping for a post like this.

Just updated, nice surprise in not having to restore back.
    Great work Windows Phone team!
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 11:55 PM
  • Great news and no problems with my update but i would like to ask a one question. When I got to the pandora website to play music it is really really quiet when i have my phone set for mobil browsing and when i switched it to desktop it got a whole lot louder for 1 song then it went back to its quiet self. And both volumes are set to the max. Is this a problem with the phone or pandora?
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 12:15 AM
  • OK now it is loud again after playing through half a song... And the next song is loud ya!
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 12:24 AM
  • Cliff,

You assisted me in getting the Dev beta when my email address was somehow wrong on the hub, and I thank you for that.

Now I have to throw in a great big thank you for this bit of work.   It was unexpected, like when my Wife buys me ice cream when she goes to the grocery store (and nearly as sweet).

The entire WP7 team deserves a big round of thank yous from all Developers.   They said they would do their best for developers, and I'm not sure what else they could have done.   @Joebelfiore said he would fix the update process after NoDo, and he and his team did that.   Users will be very happy with Mango, and that will drive more people to the platform.

Guaranteed.

-thanks again
    -e
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 1:22 AM
  • My experience updating LG Quantum on AT&T to the RTM:

I first went to Zune and told it to delete all the synced media.  I always do that before an update, since it is SO easy to put back on.  It speeds the update process by quite a bit.

Updated the 7712 to 7720 with no problems, although the "Syncing" step took a while.

In provisioning out the Beta bits, a bit of hitch in the update process when Zune seemed to hang at determining the amount of disk space for the update.

I read a few posts suggesting other users had had this problem in updating to 7712.  Things seemed pretty safe.

After taking a deep breath and praying to the software gods, I cancelled the update.  I didn't reboot the phone or the computer or even exit Zune.

Zune said I had an update ready, I told Zune to install it.

After that, the phone went to the next step "Installing LG Update for Windows Phone", after creating "another" backup.

Seamless after that small hitch.

Kudos to the team!
    -e

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 2:47 AM
  • Hello:

I've just updated to 7.5 however im not seeing the add hidden network feature or the bing music feature! I have a LG Optimus 7.

=(

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 2:52 AM
  • THANK YOU!

My LG C900 worked flawlessly during the upgrade. Even the LG updates were downloaded (I was a little apprehensive about getting the LG update in due course because LG had been totally silent. Of course, AT&T confirmed a few weeks ago that GA would be "this fall" and wouldn't you - fall has arrived!!

Once again a very big thank you for helping us avoid the roll-back for the upgrade. Yeah, it would have worked but the fewer hurdles we have the faster we can meet our deadlines.

Regards.
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 3:29 AM
  • Well done guys, thanks for going the extra mile.
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 8:10 AM
  • ok guys i have an Omnia7 currently running Mango Beta 2

The update process went on , first i had driver problems for which i had to download the fix it tool.

and now i have the 80180048 error.

What do i do now ??

ive never used the chevron unlock or any other methods to date. and theres no info on what the error is either
    so what do i do now ?
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 9:07 AM
  • This is amazing thank you so much, I was not looking forward to losing everthing on my phone.
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 11:53 AM
  • I'm having the same problem on a Samsung Focus :(
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 4:35 PM
  • When I connect my Win Phone which is running 7712, I connect with Zune Client  version 4.8.2345.0, I get the update notification, but when I click the install button, the update process just hangs (while attempting to compute required disk space to install the update.)  I attempted the update twice with the same results.  Each time I waited about 10 to 15 minutes.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

Thanks
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 5:00 PM
  • My HTC HD7 updated to 7.10.7720.68 without issues.   Then the firmware was updated.   Everything seems the same, just faster after the update.   Probably the firmware update helped.

I was worried that it would take hours and involve a roll-back.   Instead the two updates took about 20 minutes.
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 6:06 PM

• Disclaimer: I'm a product manager; I'm not in engineering nor in support -- that said, just trying to help...

From conversations I've seen/heard:

- For the hanging on backup, I've been told that some folks take a loooong time on the computing disk space...you can either wait for that process to complete (which can be particularly long if you have an SD card or lots of music/videos/data on the device), or you can elect to cancel the backup (Zune allows this as of the 4.8 client). If you cancel the backup, you better damn well know you have your NoDo backup somewhere. :o

- For the 80180048 error, that is almost always a result of the Walsh update tool or using the support tool. The 7403 update was supposed to have fixed that issue, and if you updated to Mango before 7403 was put out there (first 2-3 weeks of the program), you may still have some residual confusion in your device. I've been told that a hard reset may fix the problem; otherwise, I would say roll back to NoDo and update again (which should fix the issue). Other folks here on the forums may have other/more useful suggestions.

Hope this helps; glad it's working for most, and sorry to hear some are having pain.
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 6:59 PM
  • My dev phone is still at NoDo. I need to test Mango readiness of my apps. My phone is not scheduled to be updated yet.
    So how do I install the pre-RTM version so that I can test? I really shouldn't wait weeks, as I'm behind now.
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 10:29 PM
  • I had the same hanging problem just before the clean-up update.  Cancelling out and starting again [after clearing the (previous) 'Update Successful' and 'an update is available' messages from my phone] cured the problem.  Then I got the HTC updates and now - I can use all the 7.5 goodies, including the augmented reality stuff that hooks into the Motion API.  Virtually pain free.  Now I don't have any excuse to put off finishing that killer App any longer.
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 11:09 PM
  • I'm in the same boat...80180048 :-(
    ...no chevron what so ever.

I even tried the hard reset, but still a no-go.  Can anyone help?
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 2:17 AM
  • I am on TMobile Uk with Omnia7, I received the RTM Mango update (which surprised me as TMobile have not released it for the Omnia 7 yet). But I did not get a firmware update  which is what others have got, will I have to wait for Tmobile to release mango and revert to NODO (my backup).

TIA Mike
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 9:35 AM
  • Thanks but it didn't work for me. (LG E900 - Optimus 7) I got the update in Zune but it couldn't install it because of some error. I searched for it and it seems to have something to do with old LG firmware. Before I discovered that I restored my backup. After that I went through a horrible process updating the firmware on the device (LG Mobile Update really S*#). So now I've newer firmware on the device but the update doesn't get pass 7392. Is there a way to force an update? I really need my device to be 'Mango' again because I'm working on a project right now. (Already tried the disconnect network trick 20 times, no success). I could use some advice... Thanks!
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 2:07 PM
  • Thanks but it didn't work for me. (LG E900 - Optimus 7)I got the update in Zune but it couldn't install it because of some error. I searched for it and it seems to have something to do with old LG firmware.Before I discovered that I restored my backup. After that I went through a horrible process updating the firmware on the device (LG Mobile Update really S*#).So now I've newer firmware on the device but the update doesn't get pass 7392. Is there a way to force an update? I really need my device to be 'Mango' again because I'm working on a project right now. (Already tried the disconnect network trick 20 times, no success).I could use some advice...Thanks!

Not sure, but my issue sounds similar. I have a Vodafone HTC Trophy. Before the announcement of the Mango release (last week), I got an update notification that was labeled as an 'HTC Update', not thinking or checking into it, I updated. It brought me back to build 7392 as well. Came to the forums to search for this issue, and how I could get Mango back today to discover that the files had been removed from Connect. I found the old Beta2 update files and re-did it from scratch (Zune software and all) and it's updating to 7720 right now. Not sure if this will help you or not, but it seems to have worked for me. As always, YMMV.

EDIT: After re-reading Cliff's original post, this may not be the best way to update, referring to the summer update issues. 
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 2:45 PM
  • Hi Cliff,

I got a developer phone from Microsoft (LG GW910 - 7.0.7003.0 - SIM card from Italy Wind). Worked very well and publishing.

What should I do now? Where is my update?
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 10:08 PM
  • I have an Omnia 7 on Orange in the UK. It's presently running 7712 with the old firmware. Zune tries to do the RTM update but it continues to fail with 80180048. I can't quite see what people are suggesting as a fix. Return to my backup? (What's a Walsh update?) Jason.
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 10:28 PM
  • Hi Cliff,

I got a developer phone from Microsoft (LG GW910 - 7.0.7003.0 - SIM card from Italy Wind). Worked very well and publishing.

What should I do now? Where is my update?

Developer phones are not eligible for the Mango update. Only retail phones.

From another forum post on this site.

The LG GW910 device was provided by Microsoft to help you get developing your applications quickly before actual retail hardware became available. Now that pretty much every carrier in the US has a phone available, you should be using one of those instead. Especially since the LG device in question while similar to the specs of released phones, was not fully compliant. (So things like the compass and gyro are probably not present.)

As far as I'm aware, Microsoft will not be issueing any updates or supporting that LG phone going forward. If you want to try out Mango, you'll need to go get an officially releaed phone.

~Jonathan Tanner [MSFT]

Friday, September 30, 2011 2:47 AM
  • I have a HTC Trophy on Verizon also and I was on 7720.68... It worked perfect for me.
    Friday, September 30, 2011 3:14 AM
  • I went through 3 updates on the HTC Surround:

1. update to 7720.68
    2. Cleanup (server change)
    3. HTC update for Windows Phone

Only the last one created a backup and it took the most to install. All updates were successful.
    Friday, September 30, 2011 7:56 AM
  • Update went very smoothly on my Verizon Trophy!  Thank you guys for all the hard work!
    Friday, September 30, 2011 3:05 PM
  • From what I can tell, I meet all of the outlined requirements:
  • Download Zune 4.8: For best results, you should be running version 4.8.2345.0 of the Zune client. To update your Zune client, click on ‘Settings’ -> ‘Software’ -> ‘General’, and click the ‘Check for Updates’ button.
  • Support scoped to 7712: This de-provisioning process has only been tested on devices updated (a) using the provided provisioning tool and (b) running the pre-release build (7712) released via the pre-release servers. Folks still running on build 7661 should be provided the 7712 update as part of this update process. All other pre-release configurations are untested and unsupported.

Everytime I try and update my phone I get an error: 80180048

The phone update seems to go through all of the steps with no problems, but when the phone reboots, it doesn't take the update and displays the error message!

Thank you for your help,
    Markus

Friday, September 30, 2011 6:36 PM
  • I updated my HTC HD7 successfully earlier. The process wasn't completely flawless, I did encounter a problem where the update got stuck at restarting phone even though my phone had already rebooted. The problem was solved by simply turning my phone off and on again. After that all 3 updates (including a HTC update) were successful and my phone is up and running again.
    Friday, September 30, 2011 11:20 PM
  • Updates are only for retail phones. developer phones are stuck at 7.0.
    Saturday, October 1, 2011 8:28 AM
  • Thanks for the update process for devs !

Quick question about the drivers update: I suppose that the "HTC Update" is the said update; my phone didn't received it and the compass doesn't work, will my phone receive it later? (i.e. when my provider release mango for the HTC Trophy?)
    Another question: is there any problem to use 7720 without specific drivers? What type of hardware is concerned? (compass/gyro only?)
    Saturday, October 1, 2011 10:08 PM
  • Hello!

I can only offer my experience with the only device in my possession - LG LG-C900. All previous programs work as before. I have had self-inflicted challenges and only the accelerometer (from previous releases) and compass (from current release) work. The gyro is presumably still a work-in-progress at LG.

You can tweak the sample code for DeviceStatus to interrogate the settings in your device: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff431744(v=VS.92).aspx

Regards.
    Sunday, October 2, 2011 4:28 PM
  • The best software can't add a gyro to a phone that doesn't have one. . WP7 is good, but not that good.
    Sunday, October 2, 2011 11:18 PM
  • I'm sorry I thought that LG had given you that assignment.
    Monday, October 3, 2011 12:16 AM
  • I had exactly the same experience, updated my HTC Trophy on Verizon on 9/29 and have had no data since. Everything else works fine, I've used phone, texting, and wi-fi data with no trouble at all.

However, just as you describe, I have no 3G symbol and no data. I stepped through every troubleshooting step Verizon tech support could think of, the only thing left is to wipe my phone and start over.

-Andrew

Tuesday, October 4, 2011 3:54 AM
  • Hi,

I wish i'd seen this announcement before i rolled back from the beta... :)

I rolled back to my NoDo backup a few weeks ago (7392). I've been eagerly waiting for the update since the rollout began but so far nothing for my HTC HD7.

I'm fully aware that the rollout is supposed to be random, but i can't help think that perhaps i've broken the process somehow by installing the beta and then rolling back. Is anyone else still in the same situation or got any advice?

Additionally, just before i rolled back i was getting the update message on the phone (but rather than update i rolled back... would have done things differently if i'd read this first though).

thanks!
    Saturday, October 15, 2011 6:54 PM
  • Hi!

First of all, Thank You all for your great work and for the possibility to pre-test Mango, which I have learned to love at Beta 2 stage.
    Since, as you mention:

Driver updates may trail: The dev de-provisioning process occurs separately from the Windows Phone 7.5 update process for the general customer base on the production servers. Once provisioned back to the production servers, you may still have to wait to be eligible for your device-specific updates. As such, you may still experience some quirks with your device until you receive device and carrier-specific updates tuned for your specific device. We will try to provide additional data here to allow you to know when you’re retail device is finally ‘done’, but I don’t have that information to share at this point.

device specific drivers are not part of the Beta 2 to -> RTM update. ;(

Is there a possibility to go revert to NoDo (to the backup made as part of Beta 2 update) and then join the normal update stream. ?

Saturday, October 15, 2011 7:52 PM
  • OK,

It seems, just copying the image to C:\Users\$YourUserName$\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Phone Update on the RIGHT computer shows you the backup again. It seems, that even when you put the image file into that folder, if the machine isn't the one, where you have made the mango update, you will not have the possibility to restore. When you use the right machine with the right user it seems to work. Again, step by step:

1. Log on to the same machine as the same user as you used to update from NoDo to Mango. (I have previously tried the whole procedure on other computers with zune installed, but it hasn't work)
    2. Copy the folder with a GUID like name (f345e756c - e072cd98 - ...) directly into C:\Users\$YourUserName$\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Phone Update folder
    3. Start Zune
    4. Conect your device and let Zune find it.
        - if locked, unlock the phone as requested by ZUNE.

IMPORTANT: Make sure to have all data synchronized to your PC and /or LIVE, since all changes you have made to your phone since the
    last update (to which you want to revert) will be blost.

5. Navigate in Zune to SETTINGS->PHONE->Update
    6. After a while, you should see a possibility to restore.
    7. Press Restore button and follow the onscreen instructions of Zune.
    8. It will take a while but after that process, you will have NoDo (or the version you have restored to) again.

Sunday, October 16, 2011 6:51 PM
  • I have Samsung Focus and I did a hard reset, in the "about" section.  My phone now has WP7.5 OS version 7654.WM7_Main(mojobld).20110527-2353.  I can't get it to update to the official mango version.  My Zune version is 4.8.2345.0.  Please help.
    Sunday, November 6, 2011 12:14 AM
  • I fixed it.  I restored the phone to the version before the Beta.  Then, I just did regular Mango updates.
    Monday, November 7, 2011 9:55 PM