How do i bind combobox to SortedList RRS feed

• Question

• I'm using object binding in my project. And i have successfly bindend some textboxes and datetimecontrols and now i got to point where i want to bind my comboBox and i'm stuck, cuz i can't do it

Object i am binding to is: DateCurrencyDetailsManager

This is the property of my object that i want to bind to

public SortedList<int, string> PeriodList
            {
                get { return _periodList; }
                set
                {
                    if(!_periodList.Equals (value))
                    {
                        _periodList = value;

if(PropertyChanged != null)
                        {
                            PropertyChanged (this, new PropertyChangedEventArgs ("PeriodList"));
                        }
                    }
                }
            }

I have DataSource propery where i'm setting datasource of my comboBox

public object DataSource
            {
                get
                {
                    return dateCurrencyDetailsManagerBindingSource.DataSource;
                }
                set
                {
                    dateCurrencyDetailsManagerBindingSource.DataSource = value;
                    if(value != null && value is DateCurrencyDetailsManager)
                        comboBoxPeriod.DataSource = ((DateCurrencyDetailsManager)value).PeriodList;
                }
            }

When i run app, i get runtime ArgumentException:

System.ArgumentException was unhandled by user code
      Message="Complex DataBinding accepts as a data source either an IList or an IListSource."
      Source="System.Windows.Forms"
      StackTrace:
           at System.Windows.Forms.ListControl.set_DataSource(Object value)
           at System.Windows.Forms.ComboBox.set_DataSource(Object value)
           at Rex.Food.Details.DateCurrencyDetails.set_DataSource(Object value) in C:\if\dev\src\Rex\Food\Food.Meal\Details\DateCurrencyDetails.cs:line 26
           at Rex.Food.Details.FoodForm.SetParameters(Guid policyActionGuid, Guid clientGuid, Object policyAction, Boolean isLastPolicyAction, Int32 productLobOid, Boolean makeCopy, Boolean isEaglePolicy) in C:\if\dev\src\Rex.\Food\Food.Meal\Details\FoodForm.cs:line 86
           at Rex.Common.Search.UIManager.OpenPolicyForm(Object policyAction) in C:\if\dev\src\Rex\Food\Food.Common\Search\FoodUIManager.cs:line 537
           at Rex.Common.Search.UIManager.NewPolicy_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) in C:\if\dev\src\Rex\Food\Food.Common\Search\FoodUIManager.cs:line 184
           at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
           at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
           at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
           at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
           at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
           at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
           at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
           at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
           at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
           at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

Monday, September 4, 2006 11:54 AM

Answers

• Mix,
    the problem is exactly as described in the exception: you can only bind to a collection that implements IList or IListSource. Unfortunately, SortedList<> implements neither, and even the SortedList<>.Values property returns an IList<>, which does not match IList.

The only workaround I can come up with at the moment is something like the following:

public string [] StringValues {
      get { return new List<string> (PeriodList.Values).ToArray (); }
    }

You can now bind your combo to StringValues. Performance is not too bad, as the property is called only when you set your DataSource, which shouldn't happen too often.

HTH
    --mc

Wednesday, September 6, 2006 12:22 AM