none
Frame Rate RRS feed

• Question

• hello, excuse me for possibly a noob question, but im having some problems with the skeletal viewer sample. i've been reading that the fps is suppise to be around 30fps but mine is only around 3-9 for the most partbut varies every so often, how would i be able to fix this? 

thank you in advance!

Saturday, July 2, 2011 1:46 AM

Answers

• The HP Pavilion DV6 seems to be a family rather than a model number. The model number would be like four digits followed by two letters. One thing would be checking the specs for USB 2.0 rather than USB 1.0. I doubt you can get 3-9 FPS on USB 1.0 so it seems unlikely and the Kinect might refuse to mount on USB 1.0 just to avoid confusion. It's a starting point though. After that would be other USB devices running. First there would be other USB deviced plugged in then things that potentially use USB internally like a built in camera. After that would be whether you have enough CPU by using task manager to see if the CPU is pegged and if so if other processes are using substantial cpu, i.e. virus. If it's the CPU then dropping skeletal tracking and player indexes should bring up the frame rate.

• Marked as answer by venominc- Saturday, July 2, 2011 4:25 PM
    Saturday, July 2, 2011 3:58 AM

All replies

• what are the specs on the machine / video card?
    Saturday, July 2, 2011 2:07 AM
  • Computer is a HP Pavilion dv6

AMD Turion(tm) II Ultra Dual-Core Mobile M660

4 GB RAM

Video card - ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650

if there is anything i am missing, just let me know, thanks

Saturday, July 2, 2011 2:28 AM
  • The HP Pavilion DV6 seems to be a family rather than a model number. The model number would be like four digits followed by two letters. One thing would be checking the specs for USB 2.0 rather than USB 1.0. I doubt you can get 3-9 FPS on USB 1.0 so it seems unlikely and the Kinect might refuse to mount on USB 1.0 just to avoid confusion. It's a starting point though. After that would be other USB devices running. First there would be other USB deviced plugged in then things that potentially use USB internally like a built in camera. After that would be whether you have enough CPU by using task manager to see if the CPU is pegged and if so if other processes are using substantial cpu, i.e. virus. If it's the CPU then dropping skeletal tracking and player indexes should bring up the frame rate.

• Marked as answer by venominc- Saturday, July 2, 2011 4:25 PM
    Saturday, July 2, 2011 3:58 AM
  • Sorry about that, the model Number is  -  2164ca

and thanks that actually seemed to work, I closed a lot of programs runing in the background and not its up to 20 - 30 fps, thank you very much

Saturday, July 2, 2011 4:25 PM
  • what framerate do you get from DirectX SDK samples?
    Sunday, July 3, 2011 8:55 PM
  • Can you tell me what cpu usage should be ok? I've got a AMD Phenom Quad Core 3.2 GHz. Its running at 10 to 20% with the skeletonViewer sample but I'm only getting around 10fps or less. USB rate is around 160 Mb/s. I can't figure out why its so slow

TM
    Tuesday, July 5, 2011 2:23 PM
  • TM,

Do you get a larger frame rate when you compile for "Release" configuration rather than "Debug" configuration, or is it the same?

Eddy

I'm here to help
    Thursday, July 7, 2011 6:29 PM