none
Problem Installing .Net Framework RRS feed

• Question

I seem to have a problem installing .Net Framework 3.5 SP1.
    I can't update my graphics card until I finish installing .Net Framework (I did a system restart due to a virus, so I'm getting all my settings back to normal).

Error Log:
    [11/22/09,14:16:24] WapUI: [2] DepCheck indicates Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0a is not installed.
    [11/22/09,14:28:01] Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0a: [2] Error: Installation failed for component Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0a. MSI returned error code 1603

I then go to download 2.0, only to get the error on install of:
    "Error 25015.Failed to install assembly 'C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Microsoft.VisualBasic.Compatibility.dll' because of system error: 0x80131107"

What should I do?

Sunday, November 22, 2009 11:41 PM

Answers

• Hello,

You may first download the full package from here and try installing again to see if this issue still exists.

If the same error still exists, the root cause may ended up being some corrupt sectors on the hard drive. If that is the cause, then it can help to run the Chkdsk tool that ships with Windows to scan the hard drive and repair any corrupt sectors that it finds.

To run Chkdsk and repair corrupt sectors, you can use the following steps:
    1. Click on the Start menu, choose Run, type cmd and click OK
    2. Run this command:  chkdsk c: /R

Note: This command will scan the C drive.  You should substitute the C drive with whatever drive your Windows directory is on if it is not on the C drive.  The drive letter used in this command should match the drive letter listed in the error message.
    3. Wait for the command to finish - it can take a while, especially if the drive letter it is scanning has a lot of hard drive space.
    4. After the command finishes, try again to install the .NET Framework

More detailed information about this solution, you can refer to the following article:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2009/02/06/9403450.aspx

If the installation still fails, I think we need to collect the logs for further troubleshooting. After collecting logs, you may upload vslogs.cab file to SkyDrive and post the link back here.

The steps to collect the log:
    - Try to clean your "%temp%" folder (Start Menu >> Run >> Type "%temp%")
    - Install .NET Framework 3.5 sp1
    - Collect the logs from "%temp%" folder
       Collect tool: http://blogs.msdn.com/heaths/archive/2008/05/09/visual-studio-and-net-log-collection-utility.aspx
    - Upload vslogs.cab file to SkyDrive and post the link back here

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Send us any feedback you have about the help from MSFT at fbmsdn@microsoft.com.
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 5:30 AM

All replies

• Hello,

You may first download the full package from here and try installing again to see if this issue still exists.

If the same error still exists, the root cause may ended up being some corrupt sectors on the hard drive. If that is the cause, then it can help to run the Chkdsk tool that ships with Windows to scan the hard drive and repair any corrupt sectors that it finds.

To run Chkdsk and repair corrupt sectors, you can use the following steps:
    1. Click on the Start menu, choose Run, type cmd and click OK
    2. Run this command:  chkdsk c: /R

Note: This command will scan the C drive.  You should substitute the C drive with whatever drive your Windows directory is on if it is not on the C drive.  The drive letter used in this command should match the drive letter listed in the error message.
    3. Wait for the command to finish - it can take a while, especially if the drive letter it is scanning has a lot of hard drive space.
    4. After the command finishes, try again to install the .NET Framework

More detailed information about this solution, you can refer to the following article:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2009/02/06/9403450.aspx

If the installation still fails, I think we need to collect the logs for further troubleshooting. After collecting logs, you may upload vslogs.cab file to SkyDrive and post the link back here.

The steps to collect the log:
    - Try to clean your "%temp%" folder (Start Menu >> Run >> Type "%temp%")
    - Install .NET Framework 3.5 sp1
    - Collect the logs from "%temp%" folder
       Collect tool: http://blogs.msdn.com/heaths/archive/2008/05/09/visual-studio-and-net-log-collection-utility.aspx
    - Upload vslogs.cab file to SkyDrive and post the link back here

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Send us any feedback you have about the help from MSFT at fbmsdn@microsoft.com.
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 5:30 AM
  • Think i have the same problem and this did not help =(
    Sunday, December 6, 2009 3:55 AM