SQL Server 2012 Failover Cluster questions RRS feed

• Question

• My question is in regards to SQL Server 2012 Failover Cluster (FCI), in 2012 the is option of FCI with DR( Disaster Recovery) with AlawaysON Group. But I only need to configure for FCI failover cluster configuration which used shared storage. I am not interested to use AlwaysON Group which is more to do with DR and is the new mirroring option. There the question is 

Can I configure SQL Server 2012 for Failover clustering without using AlawaysON Group? Since FCI's do no support automatic failover by availablity groups?

Please help????????????????????

Thank you

Malini Sethi

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 5:52 PM

Answers

• Hi Malini,

FCI (Failover Clustured Instance) and AlwaysON are two different features of SQL Server 2012. AlwaysON can be configured on top of FCI but that entirely depends upon the requirement.

You can definately configure SQL Server 2012 without using AlwaysON because when FCI is installed the AlwaysON feature is disabled by default. If you donot want to use AlwaysON, you will not enable the feature from the SQL Server Configuration manager as shown below:

Thanks and Regards Alankar Chakravorty MCITP Database Administrator SQL Server 2008 MCITP Database Administrator SQL Server 2005

• Proposed as answer by Fanny Liu Thursday, November 14, 2013 9:17 AM
    • Marked as answer by Fanny Liu Friday, November 22, 2013 8:39 AM
    Wednesday, November 13, 2013 6:48 PM
  • Hello,

2)For FCI shared storage is definately mandatory. FCI cannot be implemeted with out shared storage.

This is only true for SQL Server 2008R2 and below. Starting with SQL Server 2012, SMB 3.0 shares are valid targets for clustered instances. Thus if using SQL Server 2012+ it is possible to use either shared storage or SMB shares. Also note that SMB shares do not use drive letters but unc paths.

Sean Gallardy | Blog | Twitter

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 8:47 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi Malini,

FCI (Failover Clustured Instance) and AlwaysON are two different features of SQL Server 2012. AlwaysON can be configured on top of FCI but that entirely depends upon the requirement.

You can definately configure SQL Server 2012 without using AlwaysON because when FCI is installed the AlwaysON feature is disabled by default. If you donot want to use AlwaysON, you will not enable the feature from the SQL Server Configuration manager as shown below:

Thanks and Regards Alankar Chakravorty MCITP Database Administrator SQL Server 2008 MCITP Database Administrator SQL Server 2005

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 6:48 PM
  • Thank you Alankar for the clarificatoin could you also answer the question below:

1) For FCI and WSFC I would need Shared storage right?

Thank you

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 7:07 PM
  • 1) For WSFC Shared Storage for Quorum is not recommended as it can be a single point of failure.

2)For FCI shared storage is definately mandatory. FCI cannot be implemeted with out shared storage.

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 7:20 PM
  • Hello,

This is only true for SQL Server 2008R2 and below. Starting with SQL Server 2012, SMB 3.0 shares are valid targets for clustered instances. Thus if using SQL Server 2012+ it is possible to use either shared storage or SMB shares. Also note that SMB shares do not use drive letters but unc paths.

Sean Gallardy | Blog | Twitter

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 8:47 PM
    Answerer
  • Actually Shared Storage towards Quorum in a Majority Node Set plus Disk configuration isn't a single point of failure and is a valid way to get that all important extra vote in situations of uneven nodes. Something I would happily use in a cluster configuration. But Disk Only -yes avoid. 

Regards,
    Mark Broadbent.

Contact me through (twitter|blog|SQLCloud)

Please click "Propose As Answer" if a post solves your problem
    or "Vote As Helpful" if a post has been useful to you
    Watch my sessions at the PASS Summit 2012 and SQLBits

Friday, November 15, 2013 8:35 PM