keeping changes in VM and survive a reboot. RRS feed

• Question

• i have a sql2008 on a vm.  after the insert and delete, that box got a reboot.

well all the data changes are gone after the reboot.

what is needed to keep the data "persist" after a reboot to the vm?

-- IBM has jobs for USA employee to work oversea (India) and get their wages.

Monday, April 30, 2012 10:16 PM

Answers

• I still can't be 100% what you are running on but it is obvously Vmware. If you are running on vSphere, ESX, etc you need to check the state of your disk to see if it set persistent or nonpersistent. You might need your VM administrator to do this for you.

To do this open the vSphere client > Connect to your ESX/vCenter host where the VM is running and right click the VM and select Edit Settings > under the HArdware tab select the hard disk drives and check that if Independant is set that the disk is persistent.

Sean Massey | Consultant, iUNITE

Feel free to contact me through My Blog, Twitter or Hire Me.
    Please click the Mark as Answer or Vote As Helpful button if a post solves your problem or is helpful!

• Proposed as answer by Peja Tao Wednesday, May 2, 2012 3:01 AM
    • Marked as answer by Peja Tao Monday, May 7, 2012 1:16 AM
    Tuesday, May 1, 2012 5:34 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Which VM platform are you running this instance in? It sounds like you have undo/differencing disks enabled and you did not commit the changes on reboot of the VM therefore the changes would be rolled back.

Please click the Mark as Answer or Vote As Helpful button if a post solves your problem or is helpful!

Monday, April 30, 2012 10:25 PM
  • it turns out to be a vmware 8.6.0 build -425873.

how to make the data persist on a reboot?

-- IBM has jobs for USA employee to work oversea (India) and get their wages.

Tuesday, May 1, 2012 5:20 AM
  • I still can't be 100% what you are running on but it is obvously Vmware. If you are running on vSphere, ESX, etc you need to check the state of your disk to see if it set persistent or nonpersistent. You might need your VM administrator to do this for you.

To do this open the vSphere client > Connect to your ESX/vCenter host where the VM is running and right click the VM and select Edit Settings > under the HArdware tab select the hard disk drives and check that if Independant is set that the disk is persistent.

• Proposed as answer by Peja Tao Wednesday, May 2, 2012 3:01 AM
    • Marked as answer by Peja Tao Monday, May 7, 2012 1:16 AM
    Tuesday, May 1, 2012 5:34 AM