none
Guidelines for deploying O365 Outlook Mail Apps in Enterprise IT departments – No App store RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings,

I need to deploy my O365 Outlook Mail App to our company o365 with Exchange and SharePoint online.

Where can I find a good online article or guide that explains my options and how to do it?

I have links for developer test or public App Store deployment such as the following. https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/fp142256.aspx

But I am looking for actual production level deployment for enterprise IT departments.

Thank you,

Tuesday, June 23, 2015 2:00 PM

Answers

• Hi amx2012,

Greetings,

I need to deploy my O365 Outlook Mail App to our company o365 with Exchange and SharePoint online.

Where can I find a good online article or guide that explains my options and how to do it?

I have links for developer test or public App Store deployment such as the following. https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/fp142256.aspx

But I am looking for actual production level deployment for enterprise IT departments.

Thank you,

As the document mentioned above, we can deploy the mail apps to Exchange. And to enable the apps for the enterprise, we can use Exchange Admin Center like steps below:

1. Open the EAC by using a URL such as the following:
      https://<exchange server>/ecp/?p=installed
    2. Log on to the Exchange server by using a valid user name and password.
    3. Select Apps to open the app manager.
    4. Select the plus sign (+) to add a new app.
    5. From the drop-down list, select Add from file, assuming you have stored the manifest on a local folder.
    6. Browse to the file path of the manifest, and then select Install.
    7. Select the user name in the upper-right corner of the window and select My Mail to switch to your email to test the mail app.

To log into the  Exchange admin center (EAC) in Office 365, you can refer to article below:

For deploy the web part(mail app UI file(s) ), we need to deploy it to a web server or any web hosting service, such as Microsoft Azure. And as far as I test, the SharePoint library won't wrok, since it will download it automatically instead of opening the web page in the web broswer.

In addition, you can get more detail about publishing apps from link below:
    Publish your app for Office

Regards & Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, June 24, 2015 6:39 AM
  • Hi amx2012,

>>Do I need to be concern about security when I host my App's html files in an Azure Website without any authentication or authorization against the html files?<<

Based on my understanding, it depends on how you developing the web application and the Azure wouldn't affect
    the authentication and authorization.

If you have other problems with Azure, I suggest that you reopen a new thread in Azure forum.

Regards & Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Friday, June 26, 2015 7:49 AM

All replies

• Hi amx2012,

Greetings,

Thank you,

As the document mentioned above, we can deploy the mail apps to Exchange. And to enable the apps for the enterprise, we can use Exchange Admin Center like steps below:

1. Open the EAC by using a URL such as the following:
      https://<exchange server>/ecp/?p=installed
    2. Log on to the Exchange server by using a valid user name and password.
    3. Select Apps to open the app manager.
    4. Select the plus sign (+) to add a new app.
    5. From the drop-down list, select Add from file, assuming you have stored the manifest on a local folder.
    6. Browse to the file path of the manifest, and then select Install.
    7. Select the user name in the upper-right corner of the window and select My Mail to switch to your email to test the mail app.

To log into the  Exchange admin center (EAC) in Office 365, you can refer to article below:

For deploy the web part(mail app UI file(s) ), we need to deploy it to a web server or any web hosting service, such as Microsoft Azure. And as far as I test, the SharePoint library won't wrok, since it will download it automatically instead of opening the web page in the web broswer.

In addition, you can get more detail about publishing apps from link below:
    Publish your app for Office

Regards & Fei

Wednesday, June 24, 2015 6:39 AM
  • Thank you Fei for the comprehensive response.

Seems that SharePoint 365 is not an option for hosting the office Apps' html files. 

Seems that I have to use Azure Web Apps.

Do I need to be concern about security when I host my App's html files in an Azure Website without any authentication or authorization against the html files?

Thank you,

Thursday, June 25, 2015 3:52 PM
  • Hi amx2012,

>>Do I need to be concern about security when I host my App's html files in an Azure Website without any authentication or authorization against the html files?<<

Based on my understanding, it depends on how you developing the web application and the Azure wouldn't affect
    the authentication and authorization.

If you have other problems with Azure, I suggest that you reopen a new thread in Azure forum.

Regards & Fei

Friday, June 26, 2015 7:49 AM