none
Office Store validation time is now six weeks? RRS feed

• Question

• I was getting apps approved in typically a day or two.  I submitted one two weeks ago and it failed because of a simple error and submitted it and now it's been in an approval state ever since.  I filed a support request to inquire about the status and the response I got back was that the estimated time for Office App certification is six weeks.  That's a long time and I don't know how well I can support my business model with that kind of lag time.  This especially concerns me if the only change I want to make is to the app description.  That shouldn't take six weeks.  Please, tell me this isn't so.

Corey Roth - SharePoint Server MVP blog: www.dotnetmafia.com twitter: @coreyroth | SP2 Apps

Friday, January 25, 2013 2:07 PM

Answers

• Hi Corey,

I'm an engineering person who works on the Seller Dashboard pipeline.  The details above are all correct, as the Office Store starts to grow, validation times are starting to take longer, although at this point the length of time you have been waiting is an anomaly.  I can say we've been working hard on your application and have discovered an internal issue to the pipeline as a result.  This internal issue is now fixed, and your application should be released from the pipeline in the next few days. 

Prior to Office being generally available we made extreme efforts to iron out the hiccups in the pipeline, but we did miss this particular one.  Having worked with many MVPs in the past, I realize how valuable the MVP community is in helping to discover issues, report them, and provide continuous feedback to the product teams.  So thank you again for your continued feedback, and devotion to Microsoft as an MVP. 

Sean

• Proposed as answer by Sean Daniel Friday, February 8, 2013 9:10 PM
    • Marked as answer by JesBModerator Monday, February 11, 2013 9:37 PM
    Friday, February 8, 2013 9:10 PM

All replies

• There are two things going on here. You have an app reportedly approved that is not live on the site. And the second being your feedback that a 6 week validation process is not supportive of your business. Let me try to address them one by one.

On the first issue, any app shown as "approved" state in Seller Dashboard is expected to be live in the Store within 1 business day. This schedule is due to the current site publishing/propagation process. Since you are reporting your app has been in an "approved" state for more than 1 business day, we will need to investigate this further.

On the second point, it looks like your app has met the 2-3 business days you have been accustomed to which is typical of our current validation timeframes. We are investigating this app state with the publishing team and will follow up.

Friday, January 25, 2013 5:14 PM
  • Thanks for the response Erik.  Let me clarify as I think I mis-stated.  In the case here, I have an app that hasn't been approved and has been waiting for approval for a little over two weeks now.  Everything else you  stated was right on with my past experience.  Typically, an app shows up in the store in one day after approval and the approvals happen within two to three days. 

Here is the quote I got back from support when I followed up.  

"Unfortunately, due to the increasing business of the Office Store, certification times are starting to take longer.  The actually estimated time of an Office app certification is six weeks.  We have been able to get them out much quicker in the past due to the lower volume of apps being developed, as are more apps are being submitted, certification times have increased. "

Thanks again,

Corey

Corey Roth - SharePoint Server MVP blog: www.dotnetmafia.com twitter: @coreyroth | SP2 Apps

Friday, January 25, 2013 5:21 PM
  • Hi Corey,

I'm an engineering person who works on the Seller Dashboard pipeline.  The details above are all correct, as the Office Store starts to grow, validation times are starting to take longer, although at this point the length of time you have been waiting is an anomaly.  I can say we've been working hard on your application and have discovered an internal issue to the pipeline as a result.  This internal issue is now fixed, and your application should be released from the pipeline in the next few days. 

Prior to Office being generally available we made extreme efforts to iron out the hiccups in the pipeline, but we did miss this particular one.  Having worked with many MVPs in the past, I realize how valuable the MVP community is in helping to discover issues, report them, and provide continuous feedback to the product teams.  So thank you again for your continued feedback, and devotion to Microsoft as an MVP. 

Sean

• Proposed as answer by Sean Daniel Friday, February 8, 2013 9:10 PM
    • Marked as answer by JesBModerator Monday, February 11, 2013 9:37 PM
    Friday, February 8, 2013 9:10 PM
  • Hello Sean,

I have submitted and App on Feb 27 for certification. I am yet to hear back from you folks either way. It is my understanding that your certification process has two parts: automated and manual. Do you, my any chance, send an interim update during the certification process? Is there any way a company can get some estimate time of when their products are certified. Is there a specific contact with the certification group, apart from this forum, that we can contact?

We have three more versions of the products that we would like to submit for certification, however we are holding back until our first product is certified and we work any issues along the way.

Any suggestions/thoughts will be appreciated.

Thank you kindly

Alaa

Monday, March 18, 2013 7:53 PM
  • Hello Alaa,

Thank you for your inquiry. We have contacted you offline regarding your app submission. Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

Best regards,

Jes Brown
    Office Store

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 6:04 PM