none
need help, im a newbie...2 questions RRS feed

• Question

1. Once I have my website open and all my files appear to the left. How do I add a logo/image to a folder that I have created back in Frontpage called images? I need to add a logo in order to use it on my page.
    2. If I try to hyperlink an existing page to another, it doesnt work because when i go to click on it in real time it prompts me for the FTP user name and password. Our members need to access pages and not have to log in using my credentials.

If anyone could reply I would greatly appreciate it!

• Edited by Marseeni Tuesday, January 24, 2012 2:27 PM
    Tuesday, January 24, 2012 2:27 PM

All replies

• It seems from your second question that you are editing a live remote site. This isn't good practice for a number of reasons and it's far better to edit a local copy. If you don't have a local copy, publish the site to your PC and work on the site locally.

This would also solve the first problem, in that you can copy the logo image into the images folder with copy and paste, either in EW itself or using Windows Explorer.

HTH

Ian Haynes

EW - V4 Add-Ins
    EW - Resources, hints and tips
    EW - Design for the Mobile Web
    Tuesday, January 24, 2012 2:57 PM
  • Ian,

Thanks for your reply. I realized that I can't download photos to the site without getting the full version. It is "greyed" out when I go to the insert tab at the top.

let me ask you this?

Can I insert PDF files as well by clicking on the insert link at the top?

How come when I go to right click and save location of an image already on the sidebar and put it into my event listing, it wont allow me too and shows up as an FTP site with log on credentials being asked for?

I have always  done the site live. I dont have the knowledge or capability to do the copying to our server than back.

marci
    Tuesday, January 24, 2012 4:48 PM
  • AFAIK nothing is disabled in the trial version. I'd say it was that you are working remotely that's stopping you 'downloading' images, not that it's the trial version.

Working locally needs nothing more that knowing how to set up the FTP connection details, which you already use to connect to the live site. I would definitely suggest you work locally.

Yes you can create links to pdf's in the same way as other pages.

Ian Haynes

EW - V4 Add-Ins
    Tuesday, January 24, 2012 5:06 PM
  • The trial version IS the full version. The only difference is that it times out after 60 days. You can do anything with it that you can with the full version. And if you buy EW, all you have to do is plug in the activation code to keep it from timing out. You do not have to uninstall the one and install the other.

If something is greyed out, that means that you cannot perform that function at that moment because there is something else that needs to be done/highlighted/chosen. The menu is context-sensitive. If it's greyed out, it should be greyed out, because you're in the wrong place or doing the wrong thing.

You have to get used to working with FTP and having the site on your computer. You are using FrontPage Server Extensions, which Microsoft stopped developing 10 years ago and stopped supporting 6 years ago. New servers can't run them and they are rapidly (and often without notice) disappearing from the web as server companies upgrade. It is not an option any longer to keep using them.

You should take the time to learn the right way to work (on a local version and upload the changes) now, while the timing is in your control, before you wake up one day and find that your site is inaccessible through FPSEs. It is NOT a querstion of if, but when. And it will be sooner, rather than later.

Expression Web is a professional-grade web design tool, and there are certain things you must know in order to use it properly. You don't have the option of not learning them.

If you have users need access to parts of the site, use a lightweight content management system such as ContentSeed. Very simple, works through a browser, like using a word processor.

Comic Sans walks into a bar. The bartender says, "Get out! We don't serve your type."
    Tuesday, January 24, 2012 10:16 PM
  • Good god, no!

This is a forum. The rule is: Ask here; answer here. The point of a forum is that everybody can learn. We don't do one-on-one.

Got a question? Ask it here.

And never post a phone number or e-mail address in a public forum--that's just asking for trouble.

Comic Sans walks into a bar. The bartender says, "Get out! We don't serve your type."
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 2:38 PM
  • I just need a walk thru since you know more about it than me to publish the site to my pc and work locally and how to upload it to work live. can you add the steps on here for me? removed my number
    marci
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 2:51 PM
  • That's all covered in the Expression Web Help files or in any number of books. We can't retype all the stuff that's already available for you on the web.

Create an empty website folder on your hard drive,
    Use EW's publishing feature to publish from the server to the empty website folder on your hard drive.

You'll need to know the server connection information (which we can't help with--that comes from your host).

For any more details, use the Help files or online resources.

But...You MUST know the basics in order to use EW. Take the tutorials listed in the Forum FAQ (starting with by-expression.com). We can't hold your hand; you have to take charge of learning this stuff.

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 3:52 PM
  • To add to Bill's explanation:

Open EW:

Create a new site using "Site - New Site - Empty Site" using whatever name you want.

Use Site - Publishing and then click 'Add a publishing destination'

Enter the FTP connection details you already have for the live site

The FTP dilaog will then open, with the live site should then open in the right hand window, with the empty new site in the left hand window.

Select everyting in the right hand window and then click the right-left arrow in the central bar. This will transfer the remote site to the new local site.

You can then work on the local site, test your changes by previewing them and then publish the chnages back to the live site by publishing in the same way from the local to remote site.

Ian Haynes

EW - V4 Add-Ins
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 4:07 PM
  • I agree. you must always have an offline copy of your site located where you can access it. It's also good to create incremental backups so you can get back to a point if you screw up.

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 7:22 PM