New My Visual Studio interface is a pretty poor user experience RRS feed

• Question

• Normally, I love new things.  That said, the new my visual studio experience (at least for MSDN software access) is beyond poor.  The "legacy" version was well organized, it was easy to identify what was new, it was easy to navigate to a specific product and download the correct version, and it was easy to find the related keys for a specific product -- the new version is NONE of these things.

Some specific feedback

• List of software should be implements more as a grid with ability to sort and filter on various properties (platform, language, release date, etc)
    • High level list of products should be provided to allow quick navigation to specific products
    • Quick list of "new" items should be easily accessible
    • Key access to key(s) from specific product

<html:div data-url="https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/b0a0a75a-f130-467a-b6d4-8adcd42dbfc5/new-my-visual-studio-interface-is-a-pretty-poor-user-experience?forum=msdnfeedback" id="link64_adl_tabid" style="display:none;">1642</html:div><object data-extension-version="0.5.0.161" data-install-updates-user-configuration="true" data-supports-flavor-configuration="true" id="__symantecPKIClientMessenger" style="display:none;"></object>
    • Edited by ravensorb Thursday, December 29, 2016 5:36 PM
    Thursday, December 29, 2016 5:36 PM

All replies

• Dear Shawn,

Thanks for your feedback.

prathaprabhu

I am a Microsoft Partner and I want to become MVP and MCC of Microsoft Licensing.

Saturday, December 31, 2016 4:34 PM
  • I totally agree - the pervious/legacy MSDN subscription portal was far more usable and easier on my eyes.

'My Visual Studio' is such a nuisance to scroll around looking for the software to download or scrolling endlessly to find the product key I need. I don't want to rant here but seriously,, this new site is really unpleasant for me to use and makes me want to logoff as soon as possible.

The legacy design is precisely what we need: A utilitarian design that makes good use of screen real-estate, great contrast, black (#000000) fonts rather than grey (e.g. why exactly are the file hashes a hard-to-see grey font on a grey background?), traditional dark blue hyperlinks instead of light blue, lines/rectangles to delineate borders and so on.

This new site seems to be more designed for touch which I don't think anyone here really needs since we are most likely using desktops/laptops and not phones to access it. This is not a consumer site but rather a site for professionals to get work done and as such we don't need 'pretty' or need text to blend-in with the background rendering elements unreadable/unpleasant.

Sometimes you reach a point where something is so well designed for its intended purpose, that trying to improve upon it ends up just messes it up irrespective of all the good intentions and folks hard work - e.g. the wheel has proven near impossible to improve upon (other shapes just don't roll nicely).

A specific thing which I found really annoying today is trying to obtain file hashes. With the legacy version I could expand the 'details' of each software title on the screen to reveal the file hashes for all of them, and then copy/paste the entire page with all the hashes in one shot. Now with this new design, I can only expand one title at a time making it *EXTREMELY* frustrating to get all the hashes. Perhaps what would help would be to have a separate XML file containing all the file hashes for each product-type which we could download.

Anyway thanks for trying but unless this is massively and significantly improved, I would respectively and sincerely request that the legacy MSDN portal site remain operational.

Friday, January 6, 2017 9:53 PM
  • +1 on all feedback....  Unless you know exactly what you are looking for by version, its useless.

I have no idea what version of Visual Studio I should be downloading, and its it impossible to determine what the latest version is...  Why no browse feature?

Unless this is part one of several enhancements, its a failure.

I am really not sure how it could be any worse. 

Joshua Fuente

Wednesday, January 18, 2017 1:02 AM
  • I can't agree more.

In fact, when trying to log out of a personal account and log into a corporate account clicking the sign out link makes it look like you have signed out but when you close all IE browser windows, open a new browser window in IE and click sign in you are still signed into the previous account.  No way to sign into a different account.

This is much like everything else new developers build.  Take a fantastic experience, build something new just because and then make a messy experience.

Microsoft - please bring back the old interface until you can get the new one fixed and actually usable - please

Monday, January 23, 2017 6:16 AM
  • I can't agree more.

In fact, when trying to log out of a personal account and log into a corporate account clicking the sign out link makes it look like you have signed out but when you close all IE browser windows, open a new browser window in IE and click sign in you are still signed into the previous account.  No way to sign into a different account.

This is much like everything else new developers build.  Take a fantastic experience, build something new just because and then make a messy experience.

Microsoft - please bring back the old interface until you can get the new one fixed and actually usable - please

Dear Tom,

Thanks for your feedback and the MSDN developers are working on fixing this situation. The old MSDN portal is still working and you can download the products and generate keys using it.

Thanks
    prathaprabhu

I am a Microsoft Partner, MVP and MCC and I want to become Microsoft CEO.

Monday, January 23, 2017 8:38 AM