none
Flat File -> 834 2000 Member Identification Number issue RRS feed

• Question

• I have the pleasure of taking over someone's work regarding a production implementation of a flat file to 834 transform that is working well today.  The problem I am running into is that the consumer of the 834 would like to add another instance of the 2000 REF Member Identification Number element in addition to the existing element.  Currently we are passing a 17 to the 2000 REF01 Qualifier and a name to the REF02 qualifier.  The consumer would like to add another 2000 REF Member Identification number element with a REF01 qualifier of DX and department number specified in REF02.

My question is: How do I go about creating two elements from a single flat text record?

Thanks in advance for the help. 

Thursday, November 15, 2007 5:05 AM

Answers

• If I understand the situation, you have a flat file record that looks like:

data,data1,refnum17,refnumdx,data3...

You need to output two REF segments like:

REF*17*REFNUM17

REF*DX*REFNUMDX

To do this attach a looping functoid from the nodes "refnum17" and "refnumDX" in the flat file to the REF segment.  This will produce two iterations of the REF segment.  Note that you will get two iterations whether or not you have data in the two fields, thus you must control the output of the segment yourself.

There are several methods you can use to get the data across once you have the looping and also several methods that can be used to control the segment itself.

I will build an example and post it on our blob at http://sspsi.com/blog/index_edit.html as soon as I get a chance.

Jim

www.sspsi.com

Thursday, November 15, 2007 6:21 PM

All replies

• If I understand the situation, you have a flat file record that looks like:

data,data1,refnum17,refnumdx,data3...

You need to output two REF segments like:

REF*17*REFNUM17

REF*DX*REFNUMDX

To do this attach a looping functoid from the nodes "refnum17" and "refnumDX" in the flat file to the REF segment.  This will produce two iterations of the REF segment.  Note that you will get two iterations whether or not you have data in the two fields, thus you must control the output of the segment yourself.

There are several methods you can use to get the data across once you have the looping and also several methods that can be used to control the segment itself.

I will build an example and post it on our blob at http://sspsi.com/blog/index_edit.html as soon as I get a chance.

Jim

www.sspsi.com

Thursday, November 15, 2007 6:21 PM
  • Jim,

You are correct in your understanding.  The good news is that there will always be data in the two fields...so controlling the segment will be a non-issue.  Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.  I will try it out and respond with the results.

- Bob

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 9:58 PM