MSCommLib problem RRS feed

• Question

• I've made a software that consists of three separate programs using Visual Basic .NET 2003. All of them use TeeChart ActiveX component to draw some graphics and MSCommLib to send and receive data from RS232 port. Everything works fine when I run the programs from the project. I also built a setup packet and installed it, it works fine. All this works good in Windows XP.

With Windows Vista some problems occur. When the program tries to open the communication with the serial port, an error window appears and it says something about COMException and that "Class is not licensed".

What seems to be the problem? The Vista machine has one functional RS232-port so it should work.

Will the program work properly in other XP machines where the frameworks have been installed properly?

Wednesday, May 12, 2010 7:20 PM

Answers

All replies

• juhahie,

This question would be better posted perhaps in:

.NET Base Class Library

John Grove - TFD Group, Senior Software Engineer, EI Division, http://www.tfdg.com
    Wednesday, May 12, 2010 5:45 PM
  • The easiest way is the upgrade to one of the express editions and use the SerialPort.  You need a license for MSCommLib otherwise.
    Wednesday, May 12, 2010 7:27 PM
  • I don't really have a chance for that now.. any other solutions?
    Wednesday, May 12, 2010 7:36 PM
  • Type "license MSCommLib" in the MSDN search box on this page and look through the links to license the control.  Otherwise P/Invoke the WinAPI.
    • Proposed as answer by Paavo Pihelgas Wednesday, August 7, 2019 8:51 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Paavo Pihelgas Wednesday, August 7, 2019 8:51 PM
    Wednesday, May 12, 2010 8:02 PM
  • I found an article in MSDN help and support that resolved my problem. Here's the link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q318597/

I used the method 2 and it worked great. Thanks for the help!

• Marked as answer by SamAgain Thursday, May 20, 2010 9:53 AM
    Thursday, May 13, 2010 10:40 AM