none
Disassembling application without a CLI Header. RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hello, I use a tool at work which was strictly developed for NCR and yes I work for NCR. The problem is they have a button on here that totally wipes out our machine viewing histroy and it locks up the application and soemtimes the coputer whil it does this. We've asked for them to maybe include a MessageBox and we click Yes or No beforeit clears because the Refresh Screen and Refresh Browser(which clears the history) are so close together but they havent yet.

Im wondering if theres a wayI can make an external application to disable that button or maybe the API call it makes so I tried to view the exe in .NET Reflector and got the no CLI header error. Is there another way I can do this?
    Friday, December 11, 2009 8:57 PM

All replies

• If it doesn't have a CLI Header, it's not a managed PE/COFF file (it's probably COM).  In which case, it's not a .Net app and reflector won't be able to help you.

Friday, December 11, 2009 9:16 PM
  • Is the .NET framework required if its not a .NET App? Because when they distribute it if the framework isnt installed on the clients computer it requires us to download it. If Im mistaken then would you by chance know how I could go about this?
    Friday, December 11, 2009 9:21 PM
  • Hello Seth

I think that I do not understand the question completely, and need your helps to clarify some points.

Could you tell me whether your application is
       a native app
       or
       a .NET app
       or
       a mixed one by hosting CLR in native app or by calling C++/CLI wrapper or by COM interop?

Im wondering if theres a wayI can make an external application to disable that button

If the application having the button is a .NET application, you could use Managed SPY to change the Enabled property of the button control.

Thanks
    Regards,
    Jialiang Ge
    MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum
    If you have any feedback of our support, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com.
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 11:39 AM
  • Hello

How are you? May I know the current status of the issue on your side?
    Regards,
    Jialiang Ge
    MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum
    If you have any feedback of our support, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com.
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Tuesday, December 22, 2009 6:12 AM
  • Hi,guys I am facing similar problem.I have used reflector to decompile a exe but it gave me a message CLI header missing,can u plz tell me that what does this means and how can I solve this problem?
    Thanks!
    Monday, February 15, 2010 4:46 PM
  • Hello All,

My pproblem is also in the similar line. I have an .EXE file. When I try to decompile using .NET reflector, it is saying ".EXE does not conatin CLI header" 

I am 100% sure that this app was developed in .NET, it is very crucial for our company to get the source code. We are not violating any privacy terms here. It is because of the fact that the developer left the org, and nobody has a clue for the source code. I joined new and I have to crack it for the success of this project.

Thanks in advance

Sri

Monday, April 12, 2010 1:29 PM