none
Adding a .pfm font to and answer file in ICE RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Is it possible to add .pfb / .pfm / .afm  (type 1?) fonts in ICE? 

I have a third party app which requires a couple of extra fonts (i.e. standard fonts, just not default windows fonts).

I can add these in to the fonts folder in the DS, and they appear in the installed image, but they are not recognised by the system.

What feature packs do i need to support/recognise this type of font?

These same fonts files work ok under XPe, what am i missing?

Regards,

Blue

Friday, October 15, 2010 2:31 PM

All replies

• do the files work in normal win7?

"Mark/Propose As Answer" if you got one.
    Sunday, October 17, 2010 9:35 PM
  • Sure, they work in normal Win 7, XP, Xpe....

Blue

Monday, October 18, 2010 6:53 AM
  • So, is there nobody in this community that can:

1, tell me if this is possible?

2, explain how to do it/where to look for more info?

In XPe we created a component including the fonts and added it to the db and the image...

At the moment i am trying different components in the image to see if/which one is required. A time consuming and blunt approach. I can find no mention in the WES7 help documentation.

Thursday, October 21, 2010 11:29 AM
  • This is not related to your answer but is this the same thing as you were trying to do here ?
    Friday, October 22, 2010 10:47 PM
  • When the fonts are installed is there a registry key setup to point to them in the \Windows\fonts directory? I know there is for TrueType fonts. If so you could do  a reg.exe add with a synchronous command.

-Sean

www.sjjmicro.com / www.seanliming.com, Book Author - XP Embedded Advanced, XPe Supplemental Toolkit, WEPOS / POS for .NET Step-by-Step
    Saturday, October 23, 2010 4:19 AM
  • Hi techgeek,

Yes it is the same problem. I re-posted in an attempt to start a thread with a clear strategy to add/register the font using ICE, rather than methods of adding the font to the already created image during run time. Sorry that was not necessary or constitutes a double post.

Blue

Saturday, October 23, 2010 8:52 PM
  • Hi Sean,

Thanks, I have tried manually adding the keys, replicating the entries as they appear in our (working) XPe version. This does still not work on the WES7 image, so i'm not sure what i have mucked up or am missing. I'm busy for a few days but think i will try from scratch again later in the week.

I used your Supplemental Toolkit for the original XPe development, very useful. Thanks. I thought moving to WES7 would be fairly straight forward, having managed to create a solution using XPe, but for this relative novice there have been several things that have taken a while to work out.

Blue

Saturday, October 23, 2010 9:14 PM
  • Hi Sean,

Thanks, I have tried manually adding the keys, replicating the entries as they appear in our (working) XPe version. This does still not work on the WES7 image, so i'm not sure what i have mucked up or am missing. I'm busy for a few days but think i will try from scratch again later in the week.

Here is one more suggestion (based on something very similar I have done with serial ports):

Install Windows 7 on your target device. Use tools like Active Registry Monitor and take a snapshot of the system. Then follow this article and install your custom font and then immediately take a snapshot of the system again using Active Registry Monitor. Now diff both the registries and see the changes that are related to your font (just search for your font name). Capture those changes in a separate registry file called AddFont.reg and then in your specialize phase execute the following asynchronous command:

psexec /accepteula -s reg import C:\AddFont.reg

• Proposed as answer by techgeek12345 Saturday, October 30, 2010 12:36 AM
    Tuesday, October 26, 2010 1:08 AM