Sharepoint external access RRS feed

• Question

• I have recently started playing around with Sharepoint 2013 and I'm unsure how to setup web authentication for external access.

The site is setup on root. Binding the Sharepoint 80 site on IIS to the external address without alternate access mapped causes 401 Unauthorized. Adding the alternate access by using the Internet field allows access to the site but it auto logins to the Sharepoint System Account. I haven't extended the app due to the possible port change.

Is there a way to force user verification?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

• Edited by AidenB455 Wednesday, September 30, 2015 9:05 AM more info
    Wednesday, September 30, 2015 8:42 AM

Answers

• If i am reading things correctly, you have a sharepoint site that needs access to external users. With amount of information you have provided, I am guessing when you use AAM to internet field to internal name makes site trusted site (in you IE security policy) and passing through authentication from you work laptop. Does same thing happen when you access site from devices outside company network through VPN.

To grant access to exxternal users, your site should be externally accessible (DNS entry used) and either SP domain should have at least 1 way trust to other domain or set up FBA for that domain. 

sachin

• Marked as answer by AidenB455 Saturday, October 3, 2015 1:44 AM
    Thursday, October 1, 2015 10:24 PM

All replies

• If i am reading things correctly, you have a sharepoint site that needs access to external users. With amount of information you have provided, I am guessing when you use AAM to internet field to internal name makes site trusted site (in you IE security policy) and passing through authentication from you work laptop. Does same thing happen when you access site from devices outside company network through VPN.

To grant access to exxternal users, your site should be externally accessible (DNS entry used) and either SP domain should have at least 1 way trust to other domain or set up FBA for that domain. 

sachin

• Marked as answer by AidenB455 Saturday, October 3, 2015 1:44 AM
    Thursday, October 1, 2015 10:24 PM
  • Thanks for the info sachin. I went back and tried the settings again. DNS is controlled by another server pointing to sp.domain.com. I stopped using AAM and added the IIS binding and it worked.

It might be easier to setup some internal accounts for use externally now then investigate FBA later.

Saturday, October 3, 2015 1:43 AM