none
FAQ: Can CSPs configure custom pricing for customers RRS feed

• Question

• I work for a CSP and have an Azure customer that would like to see the cost breakdowns at their price. I have only sent the Resource report spreadsheet and a manually marked up price column. Can the prices be marked up in the console so that a customer can log in and see the reports based on the sale price? The custom charge is only a single entry. It does not change all of the rates.
    Monday, November 6, 2017 10:13 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello John,

Thanks for using Azure Cost Management by Cloudyn. You are right that custom charges don't change the pricing for a customer. You can change the Rate ID for a subscription to show the costs as the would have been if the account was billed at the alternate rate. However, if your customer isn't billed at any of default rates this would not be a solution for you.

Please see the following information about configuring CSP customers to see if it answers your question:

I'm still researching to see if I can find a definitive answer about how to configure a custom price for CSP customers. I'll let you know what I can find.
    Thanks for your patience!
    - Micah Adamson

Tuesday, November 7, 2017 8:16 PM
  • Hello John,

Cloudyn does not receive billing data of CSP customers. Once a CSP is registered in Cloudyn, we receive the usage data of their customers.  We then use that usage data to calculate their cost.

Currently for each tenant/subscription, you can select between 2 rate cards - pay as you go/list rates OR CSP rates.  CSP rates is the standard pricing for CSP customers.

Based on the selected rate card, we multiply the usage quantities by the rates of the selected rate card.

Currently there is isn’t an API with usage/performance metrics so CSP customers will not have optimization results in Cloudyn that rely on these metrics.

Thank you, Ben Kirk

Tuesday, November 7, 2017 8:59 PM

• Thank you for the replies. This Cloudyn datasheet lists some features below.

https://www.cloudyn.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/CSP-datasheet_WEB.pdf

1. It shows a CSP dashboard with profit margins by customer.  This implies that a margin was entered somewhere. Although they seemed to just change the title of the dashboard parts to look like it. Will it actually do this. 

2. "Define customized margins on existing line items to reflect discounts or surcharges"

How do you apply a margin on existing line items? Are these the line items on the cost sheet brought in from Azure? 

3. "Enablement of custom pricing models for comprehensive customer billing"

What pricing models? How do you add one?

I had the Rate ID set to CSP. I changed it to Pay as You Go, but these prices did not change. I assume that if the pay as you go prices are higher than the CSP then we can give the customer a log in and tell them to keep in mind their discount.

The documentation shows this is capable for EA customers and re-sellers. Can I pay for support to get this set up? If the feature does exist as advertised then I would like to get this configured. 

Tuesday, November 7, 2017 9:39 PM
  • Hello John,

Overview: CSPs can set custom charges (for markups or discounts) for their customers by selecting and configuring the Markup Rate ID (instead of the Standard Rate ID) in Cloudyn.

Here are answers to your questions:

1. Custom charges is a way to add positive or negative line items to cost reports (and to provide custom charges, markups, and discounts) from: Cloudyn > Costs > Cost Management > Custom Charges
    2. There are two Rate card options available when setting up Cloudyn as a CSP so that customers can either see the default "Pay as you go" Rate or the "CSP" Rate. You can add custom charges to either rate.
    3. Cloudyn can take several hours to update the system after changing the Rate ID. You should see this reflected now.

Thank you again for using Cloudyn,

Ben Kirk

Wednesday, November 8, 2017 3:41 PM
  • Hi guys,

just to recap:

• there is no way to manage custom pricing for each of our customers (well, not at all)
    • custom charges are additional lines so that:
      if we had chosen the default Rate ID (CSP), the customers would see our gross margin,
      if chosen the PAYG rate, we cannot use the dashboard for our own metrics, since it doesn't reflect our pricing

all right?

if so, I hardly understand why we should invest in Cloudyn at this stage.

regards,

Simone

Tuesday, May 8, 2018 10:59 AM
  • Hello Simone,

I found an article that clarifies that the alternate "Custom CSP Rate ID" is the way to provide custom charges, markups, and discounts. So, that CSP customers see their final cost based on the values you set rather than seeing the default pay as you go rate. Sorry for any confusion in the thread above. Please let us know if you have any questions about using the custom CSP rate ID.

- Micah Adamson

Tuesday, May 8, 2018 7:32 PM
  • Hello Simone,

I found an article that clarifies that the alternate "Custom CSP Rate ID" is the way to provide custom charges, markups, and discounts. So, that CSP customers see their final cost based on the values you set rather than seeing the default pay as you go rate. Sorry for any confusion in the thread above. Please let us know if you have any questions about using the custom CSP rate ID.

- Micah Adamson

first of all thank you Micah for your kind answer.

I'm sorry I can't understand how to alternate the Custom CSP Rate ID. Following your link, I know there is only one Rate ID you can set for all the subscriptions under your CSP management.

I'm thinking of setting the PAYG Rate ID and then add a custom charge called "Reserved discount" or something like that for managing the customer price.

Is this the way we should handle this?

Simone

Wednesday, May 9, 2018 7:46 AM
  • These are the reasons why a CSP would choose which of the two default rates IDs to show to their customers:

• 0003p = Default pay as you go price (Then add a discount custom charge % to show customers what they are saving by having a CSP).
    • 0145p = Actual discounted CSP Price (Then add a positive custom charge % to show customers exactly how their total rate is calculated).

(Which option each CSP uses is a marketing decision left up to them.)

The only way to completely prevent customers from seeing the CSP custom charge is to use these three steps…

1.  Add a custom charge to the entity with a Provider name such as "AzureOther":

1. Give the customer "Dashboards only" permissions to their entity:

1. To give access to additional data to customers the CSP will need to create a dashboard and share it to "Public" (which will only share the reports publicly within this entity):

For more info please also see the following articles:

Wednesday, August 29, 2018 6:19 PM
  • Micah,

This is great information but I have a few challenges/questions about setting this up.  Would you be available for a quick call?

Thanks!

Don

Wednesday, July 17, 2019 5:54 PM
  • Hello Don,

I'm sorry that I'm not working on the Cloudyn/Azure Cost Management product anymore. A lot has changed  with the new version of the product since I replied to this post last year. I would recommend opening an Azure Cost Management SR to discuss this issue with the current support team. Thanks!

• Azure Portal > Help + Support > New Support Request > Service: Billing > Azure Cost Management
    • Azure Portal > Help + Support > New Support Request > Service: Billing > Cloudyn Legacy

- Micah Adamson

Wednesday, July 17, 2019 7:17 PM