build command on Lightswitch on VS 2015 just hangs! Please Help! RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

I have just installed VS 2015 with Update 1 enterprise on win 10 x64.

Created an empty light switch app (no matter what app you create, HTML App or Desktop App).

Invoke Build / Batch Build ...

Now Click "Select All" then "Rebuild"

now build hangs (never ends) and you can do nothing except "End Task"!!!!!

is it just me? or is it a bug?

Please help me to resolve the situation!

thank you in advance

PS: Only batch build happens to hang any other types of builds invoked finish successfully!

Tuesday, December 29, 2015 8:07 PM

All replies

• Hi Leon_Amirreza,

Please create a new other type project, such as Console application or Silverligh application, which can let us make sure whether this problem related to Visual Studio.

If just for LightSwitch application, please restore all project templates with "devenv /installvstemplates" command.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/library/ms247116(v=vs.100).aspx

If for all projects type, please try with following steps to troubleshoot this problem.

1. Run Visual Studio as administrator.
    2. Run Visual Studio in safe mode with "Deven.exe /SafeMode" to prevents all third-party VSPackages from loading when Visual Studio starts, thus ensuring stable execution.
    3. Close all third part software, such as antivirus.
    4. Reset all settings for your Visual Studio through menu Tools -> Import and Export settings -> Reset all settings.
    5. Repair your Visual Studio by Control Panel -> Program and Features -> Visual Studio 2015 -> Change -> Repair.

Please check the ActiveLog.xml under the path of %AppData%\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0. This file will log all operations when you operate Visual Studio.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

• Marked as answer by Angie Xu Thursday, January 7, 2016 2:04 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Angie Xu Wednesday, January 27, 2016 6:00 AM
    Monday, January 4, 2016 7:44 AM
  • its just for light switch app no other project type is like so. I will use "devenv /installvstemplates" command and let you know.
    Thursday, January 7, 2016 8:13 PM
  • I used "devenv /installvstemplates" and the problem persists!!

here is the resulting Visual Studio (Stop) Screen (there is no progress and nothing is clickable even cancel button!)

Error messages are weird EntityG??.cs files exist there and are empty!!!!!

Vs Hang Screen

Thursday, January 7, 2016 8:41 PM
  • I was getting this same issue after enabling Windows authentication on the project. Once that was turned on, it didn't matter if I unset it.

There are two potential areas which might cause the issues.

1) My workstation is a part of a corporate domain network, the workstation itself believed it was a member of the domain, but my IT people said they couldn't find the machine in active directory. We discovered this issue when I was trying to script-move my development databases form the old computer to my new one and received this error: "The trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain failed" when trying to connect to the bugged computer.

2) I had a lot of (seemingly excess) SQL products installed on the old machine. Stuff from nearly every version since 2008. On the second go, I only installed the main stuff I actually cared about; 

SQL Server 2014 (Developer)

SQL Server Management Studio 2016

A few of the things that came with it were:

SQL Server 2014 Express LocalDB

SQL Server 2016 LocalDB

I do not have SQL Express installed. (Does not appear to be necessary)

Either way, using the exact same code on a different machine worked fine. I think its environmental.

Wednesday, July 20, 2016 7:15 PM