none
FTP and Windows Explorer RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

My problem is that my Windows Embedded 7 image is not able to open ftp sites in the Windows Explorer.

I receive the message "This FTP site cannot be viewed in Windows Explorer"

The image has the "Internet Explorer 8" and the "Small Networking Services" components.

After investigating a bit, I noticed that the image lacks of these resources:

- In the registry, the ShellFolder key in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ftp is missing.

- In the registry, the key HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{63da6ec0-2e98-11cf-8d82-444553540000} is missing. This class is the usual value for the ShellFolder key indicated in previous point.

- The msieftp.dll in the C:\Windows\System32 folder is missing.

If I fix all of this by hand in the final image, then the problem is gone.

But I would like to know how to configure the Answer File in the Image Configuration Editor to avoid this problem. The help is very poor regarding the ftp protocol.

Thanks in advance and Regards.

Guillermo Fernandez

Friday, July 20, 2012 10:59 AM

All replies

• Try adding the Remote Client package which will add the msieftp.dll and registry keys.

-Sean

www.sjjmicro.com / www.seanliming.com / www.annabooks.com, Book Author - Pro Guide to WES 7, XP Embedded Advanced, Pro Guide to POS for .NET

Friday, July 20, 2012 2:57 PM
  • I think seans post will fix your issues. but how did you investigate?  procmon or with other tools? just to know how other developers work.

Windows Embedded Developer and Scripting Guy //Germany (Preparing a blog about Windows Embedded Standard)

Friday, July 20, 2012 6:34 PM
  • Many thanks for your answers, I'll check the Remote Client package, but I think that indeed this package should fix the problem.

About how I investigated the problem, well, a simple google search of the FTP message error gave me a clue about the FTP configuration in the registry.

Then, I just compared the Embedded registry with the one from an standard Windows 7 and I saw the differences.

The contents of the registry informed me about the needed DLL for this function. 

Monday, July 23, 2012 7:31 AM
  • I maintain some website with tools and utilities. - which tool did you use for comparing of the registry in which way. - exported hive? or directly from the hive? wes7 (small image configuration) in compare to win7 registry might be pretty big.
    or did you load the registry hive and than compare (which tool?)

i use text-compares but you may have some better tool(s) you can recommand.

Windows Embedded Developer and Scripting Guy //Germany (Preparing a blog about Windows Embedded Standard)

Monday, July 23, 2012 11:37 AM