Intellisense in Isolated shell IDE and coloring schema for the keywords in Isolated Shell IDE RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am developing a custom IDE using Isolated shell. I need the intellisense, colorizing and syntax checking enabled in my custom IDE. How can I get the above functionalities my IDE. I read in one of the thread that in order to get those features we need language package and project system of the respective language(c# or vb). Please guide me from where i can get these languages packages and how to integrate this language packages in my custom IDE.

Thanks and Regards,

Goutham

• Edited by Goutham D Wednesday, October 12, 2011 1:50 PM
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 1:45 PM

Answers

• Hi Goutham,

The intellisense support included with Visual Studio, is implemented in a series of packages that are not redistributable, and cannot be loaded in the isolated shell. Hence the term "isolated" shell. If you require C#, VB, or C++ intellisense support, you essentially have a prerequisite that Visual Studio Professional or better is installed, and your packages could then theoretically build on, or extend that existing functionality.

Authoring an intellisense package is not a trivial undertaking. You will likely need to interact with a custom project system (so that you can precompile, build, chase down references etc), such that your intellisense package can identify keywords, classes, or other constructs that you require. If you are looking to implement intellisense for your own language, that can be done in the isolated shell. The IronPython Studio sample is a good example that illustrates how this is done.

But if you require C#, VB, and/or C++, you will need these as a prerequisite, and need to target the "integrated" shell, instead of the isolated shell.

Sincerely,

Ed Dore
    Thursday, October 13, 2011 2:42 AM

All replies

• Hi Goutham,

The intellisense support included with Visual Studio, is implemented in a series of packages that are not redistributable, and cannot be loaded in the isolated shell. Hence the term "isolated" shell. If you require C#, VB, or C++ intellisense support, you essentially have a prerequisite that Visual Studio Professional or better is installed, and your packages could then theoretically build on, or extend that existing functionality.

Authoring an intellisense package is not a trivial undertaking. You will likely need to interact with a custom project system (so that you can precompile, build, chase down references etc), such that your intellisense package can identify keywords, classes, or other constructs that you require. If you are looking to implement intellisense for your own language, that can be done in the isolated shell. The IronPython Studio sample is a good example that illustrates how this is done.

But if you require C#, VB, and/or C++, you will need these as a prerequisite, and need to target the "integrated" shell, instead of the isolated shell.

Sincerely,

Ed Dore
    Thursday, October 13, 2011 2:42 AM
  • Hi ED,

Could you plz guide me how to build my package extending the existing functionality. My requirement is that C# language features should exists in my custom IDE

Thanks and Regards,

Goutham

Goutham Divvela
    Thursday, October 13, 2011 11:33 AM
  • You cannot use the existing C# functionality in your own application, nor in the isolated shell.

If you want to extend one or more features of C# (project system, intellisense, etc) that is provided with VS Professional or better, you will need to explain what exactly you want to do. Asking for guidance without some specific details of what you are attempting to do, will yield few (if any) responses.

Sincerely,

Ed Dore
    Thursday, October 13, 2011 11:42 PM