Web Deploy to specific directory RRS feed

• Question

• User968462096 posted

Hello

Is it possible to web deploy to a specific directory on my server?  If I have root/mytestsite how do I deploy to mytestsite?

When I set the deploy running the only option I see is destination URL which I change to http://www.mysite.com/mytestsite but when I deploy all the files end up in root.

Am I missing something?

Wednesday, March 23, 2016 2:34 PM

Answers

• User2053451246 posted

Use the Site name field.  The format is like this:

SiteNameInIIS/mytestsite

The SiteNameInIIS part needs to match what it shows in IIS Manager under the Site node.

So, if you are using the default folder in IIS called "Default Web Site", it would be:

Default Web Site/mytestsite

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, March 23, 2016 4:05 PM
  • User2053451246 posted

It has to be a virtual directory for an Application Pool to be assigned to it, which is needed to run .Net code.

Monday, March 28, 2016 6:11 PM

All replies

• User2053451246 posted

Use the Site name field.  The format is like this:

SiteNameInIIS/mytestsite

The SiteNameInIIS part needs to match what it shows in IIS Manager under the Site node.

So, if you are using the default folder in IIS called "Default Web Site", it would be:

Default Web Site/mytestsite

Wednesday, March 23, 2016 4:05 PM
  • User-2057865890 posted

Hi davidgccc,

1. Right-click the site and then click Add Virtual Directory

2. In the Add Virtual Directory dialog box, specify the following information:

• Alias. Type a name for the virtual directory. Choose a short name that is easy to type, because the user types this name to access the Web site.
    • Physical Path. Type or browse to the physical directory that contains the virtual directory. You can select an existing folder or create a new one to contain the content for the virtual directory.

reference: Create and Configure Virtual Directories

Best Regards,

Chris Zhao

Thursday, March 24, 2016 9:15 AM
  • User968462096 posted

Thanks for the answers guys.  I'm a little bit unsure though being new to asp.net stuff.

On a hosted environment (godaddy) I have the option to create a virtual directory and a normal directory.  Why does it have to be a virtual directory?

Thursday, March 24, 2016 9:14 PM
  • User2053451246 posted

It has to be a virtual directory for an Application Pool to be assigned to it, which is needed to run .Net code.

Monday, March 28, 2016 6:11 PM