none
Combind Windows CE 7 Silverlight and Windows CE Service RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi,

Right now I have created two different applications.

1. Windows CE 7 Service to launch the Silver-light Application at the boot up.

2. Sliverlight application to perform some operation at the boot up of the service.

Is that possible to combine these two application in to one and make single application(Service + SilverLight App).

Monday, February 3, 2014 9:26 AM

All replies

• Generally speaking yes, that's possible. You can have the OS start your application using the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Init registry key (See MSDN http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee479368.aspx for Details).

You can safely drop the service, if it ust starts the Siverlight application. 

MVP Windows Embedded

Monday, February 3, 2014 6:19 PM
  • But Init registry will help to load the dependent dll first before the actual application loads if I understood properly.

My requirement is different,  the Silver Light Application will run always on top all the Application on Windows CE 7. In order to start the application at the start up, I have written a windows ce 7 service to check the registry configuration to launch this Silver Light Process.

Also the service will keep monitoring the Registry changes and start or stop the Silver Light Application.

It that possible to combine these two application(i.e Windows CE 7 Service and Silver Light Application) to Service Application.

Tuesday, February 4, 2014 4:41 PM
  • You're understanding of the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Init key is not correct.
    That key lists all the applications (.EXEs) and DLLs the Operating System should start at boot. A typical OS design loads the following components using this key:
    - Device Manager (device.dll)
    - Graphics Subsystem (gwes.dll)
    - Services (servicesStart.exe)
    - Shell (Explorer.exe)

It is a very common practice to launch custom applications at boot using the HKLM\Init key.

The Services host (servicesd.exe) has *not* been designed to host services with a user interface. I would *not* recommend to implement a service with a UI.

My answer is: No, do not integrate a UI application (Silverlight) into a services DLL.

Your requirements very much sound like the typical duesies of a "Shell" application. So I would recommend that you watch the Webinar called "Windows Embedded Compact 2013 Shell Development: Getting all GUI!". This sould help you descide whether this is applicable for you.

MVP Windows Embedded

Tuesday, February 4, 2014 6:46 PM