none
DataTable as subset of DataTable RRS feed

• Question

• I want to create a DataTable that is a subset of a DataTable that was created with a DataAdapter from SQLServerExpress. 

If the Parent DataTable contains columns A ... K, I want my subset table to contain only columns A,B,C.  I am trying to avoid a second da.fill from the server with SELECT A,B,C & I don't gain anything vs. the second da.fill by doing a brute-force read-write. 

I have looked at using the DataView.ToTable method, but I don't understand how to get only columns A,B,C into the dataview.

The purpose of all of this is to give a datasource to a grid that contains only columns A,B,C so I don't have to go thru the hiding of all the unwanted columns (& maintain at least the fiction of being memory-usage-conscious). 

Help would be appreciated!

Don Seydel

Saturday, July 28, 2007 9:54 PM

All replies

• here what you have to do

suppose T1 is your datatable with A,B,C,...,K columns

create a new datatabe T2 as follows:

DataTable T2 = new DataTable();

now if you want to add to T2 the data from T1 and only columns A, and B then:

foreach(DataRow dr in T1.Rows)

{

DataRow dr2 = T2.NewRow();

dr2Angel = drAngel.ToString();

dr2Beer = drBeer.ToString();

T2.Rows.Add(dr2);

}

finally

your grid grd.DataSource = T2;

Hope this helps!!

Sunday, July 29, 2007 11:09 AM
  • This is what I meant by the "brute-force" copying of the data.  I'm trying to avoid that for a number of reasons.

I had also considered doing dtSubset = dtParent and then doing a column.remove(D...K), but that's not a very elegant solution.

Thanks for your help!

Don Seydel

Sunday, July 29, 2007 4:42 PM