The Document Uploader Restricted File Extensions RRS feed

• General discussion

•  

Come on, what's the point of having a website if you can't post the setup files for programs created with Visual Studio (*.exe)?  I also can't believe that I can't upload Web Services (*.asmx).  It's almost like you guys hate me or something... 
    Friday, September 21, 2007 11:10 PM

All replies

• Hi Kirb-E,

Office Live is not intended for web site hosting in the traditional power-developer sense you may be familiar with.  We offer a sandboxed environment through our web site designer tool and controlled upload of other file types.  We are trying to address the web site needs of novice-intermediate level users and cater to small businesses in particular.

The functionality you are describing is interesting to us, but we are not sure how this fits into the scenario of supporting a small business.  If you could add some detail to why you need these capabilities and how you might use them for your small business (or your small business clients), that would help us prioritize adding these capabilities in the future.

Thanks,

Chris

Wednesday, September 26, 2007 5:12 PM
  •  Chris Beiter - MSFT wrote:

Hi Kirb-E,

Office Live is not intended for web site hosting in the traditional power-developer sense you may be familiar with.  We offer a sandboxed environment through our web site designer tool and controlled upload of other file types.  We are trying to address the web site needs of novice-intermediate level users and cater to small businesses in particular.

The functionality you are describing is interesting to us, but we are not sure how this fits into the scenario of supporting a small business.  If you could add some detail to why you need these capabilities and how you might use them for your small business (or your small business clients), that would help us prioritize adding these capabilities in the future.

Thanks,

Chris

Well, for an example, let's say I wanted to have an install .exe file for a trial version of a product.  I would want that to attract people to my product.  Perhaps you have a point with the Web Services, but it would be a nice thing to have for doing things such as product registration.

Wednesday, September 26, 2007 8:56 PM
  • OK, so the small business in this scenario is a software vendor, correct?  Someone who has built something and wants to trial/sell it on their own website.  That seems legitimate.

Wednesday, September 26, 2007 10:16 PM
  • Chris, I have an example of what I feel is a legitimate small business scenario for Office Live that would require code developed using Visual Studio:

I'm working on a cookbook web application for a customer and was planning on hosting their cookbook website on Office Live Small Business, but I cannot, because I cannot upload the required dll's, the web.config file, etc. that are necessary for this web application. What I cannot figure out is that, come to find out, Microsoft feels that this is a Good Thing...go figure.

This application is currently a .NET 2 forms application that we have ported to an asp.net app, with the two apps sharing a set of common dll's.  They want to make a subset of their recipes available for online usage, with the desire for an upsell to their windows forms app being offered on the website.  It would seem like Microsoft would be jumping all over opportunities like this to show how their hosting business can enable "businesses" that revolve around software that is being developed with their premier software development tool, Visual Studio 2008.

So, what am I trying to gain with this post?  Two things:

1. I'm attempting to get Microsoft to think like a synergistic company that is looking at all of the businesses with a common direction, rather than encouraging individual business units to ignore the technologies and business directions of other business units.

2. I'm trying to see how serious Microsoft is with regards to their Office Live Small Business offering.  You guys have a wonderful solution for the "brain dead -- I've gotta have a web presence" small business person.  However, what's your migration strategy as the small business person starts to see that their competition has an integrated solution that allows them to stage a dynamic website, back-ended by real databases (think SQL, not Access).  If Microsoft's answer at that point in to say, "gee small business person, you need to migrate your website to another hosting provider" that supports dynamically built web pages, with realtime personalized data being extracted from big databases, then ok, that's your strategy.  If, however, you are looking ahead a bit to the growth of those currently web-naive small business users, who are not all going to remain naive for long, then please change your strategy and open up the capabilities of your hosting model.

Thanks for your time...pixldncr

Friday, February 15, 2008 8:37 PM