Power Pivot Slicer for "Date Groups" RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to create a slicer with "Daily", "Weekly", "Monthly", "Quarterly" as selection options. Just the listed words.

When a user selects:

•  "Daily", the transaction data (tblLaborDetail) is filtered by the related Calendar table by Calendar[Date].
    • "Weekly", the transaction data (tblLaborDetail) is filtered by the related Calendar table by Calendar[WeekEnd].
    • "Monthly", the transaction data (tblLaborDetail) is filtered by the related Calendar table by Calendar[MonthClose].
    • "Daily", the transaction data (tblLaborDetail) is filtered by the related Calendar table by Calendar[Quarter].

The selections should "roll down" to the lowest level of detail if the user selects more than one.  For example, if they pick Weekly and Daily, they would see daily data. Is something like this possible?

Thanks in advance...

John Thomas

Wednesday, April 5, 2017 1:27 PM

Answers

• Hello, 

The only functional way to do this in Power Pivot is to create separate slices for Daily, Weekly and Monthly off of the DimDate dimension. 

Some workarounds could be implemented in Power BI Desktop.

1) The new Matrix now can be used as a filter (1st picture)

2) You could create a separate grouping on the DimDate table and use it as a slicer in your report (e.g. seasons group 2nd picture below) 

Good luck

----------------------------------

• Edited by Nick Chobotar Wednesday, April 5, 2017 3:29 PM
    • Marked as answer by jbt_PwrPvt Wednesday, April 5, 2017 9:19 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by jbt_PwrPvt Sunday, April 23, 2017 12:08 PM
    • Marked as answer by jbt_PwrPvt Monday, May 1, 2017 2:45 PM
    Wednesday, April 5, 2017 3:08 PM

All replies

• Hello, 

The only functional way to do this in Power Pivot is to create separate slices for Daily, Weekly and Monthly off of the DimDate dimension. 

Some workarounds could be implemented in Power BI Desktop.

1) The new Matrix now can be used as a filter (1st picture)

2) You could create a separate grouping on the DimDate table and use it as a slicer in your report (e.g. seasons group 2nd picture below) 

Good luck

----------------------------------

• Edited by Nick Chobotar Wednesday, April 5, 2017 3:29 PM
    • Marked as answer by jbt_PwrPvt Wednesday, April 5, 2017 9:19 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by jbt_PwrPvt Sunday, April 23, 2017 12:08 PM
    • Marked as answer by jbt_PwrPvt Monday, May 1, 2017 2:45 PM
    Wednesday, April 5, 2017 3:08 PM
  • Thanks Nick - I was afraid that was the case...

John Thomas

Wednesday, April 5, 2017 5:17 PM
  • Hi John,

please give us an idea why you unmarked Nicks answer as an answer to your question, so that we can work on this.

Thx! 

Imke Feldmann
    MVP Data Platform
    TheBIccountant.com

Saturday, April 29, 2017 6:35 AM
    Answerer
  • I marked it back as the "answer", however it didn't solve my issue. Assuming it's not possible to get where I need to go, I guess it's the best of available answers. Sorry for the confusion.

John Thomas

Monday, May 1, 2017 2:47 PM