none
Resource Task view for managers RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Is there any way to provide a ‘My Tasks’ view for managers to view and update their resource’s tasks?

Your help is appreciated

• Edited by Anujaa Wednesday, April 1, 2015 6:33 AM
    Wednesday, April 1, 2015 6:33 AM

Answers

• Hi,

still not sure, what you want to achieve:

1. Manager can view and update all tasks for his resources:
    Change Default assignment owner and republish all projects --> but team members will not see tasks any longer

2. Manager can view and update some tasks for his resources:
    Change assignment owner for these assignments in any usage view in Project client --> but team members will not see these tasks any longer

3. You cannot get updates for the same tasks (assigments) by different people, so either manager or resource. However, manager can (only) see assignments for his resources in Resource Assignments view (Resource Center - select resource - click on Resource Assignments), while getting updates by resources.

4. The last option is to use Delegate feature. Leave settings as they are (so assignments displayed on resource's Tasks page and gettr updates by them) and allow managers to act as delegate for their resources. Here a sample for 2010, it is the same for 2013: http://epmsource.com/2009/12/05/project-server-delegates/ So manager can "log on" as resource and update status on their behalf.

Does that help?
    Barbara

To increase the value of this forum, please mark the replies that helped to solve your issue as answer. If you find answers to questions from other forum participants to be helpful, please mark them as helpful. Your participation will help others to find an appropriate solution faster. Thanks for your support!

Wednesday, April 8, 2015 9:32 AM

All replies

• Hi Anujaa,

do you want the manager to report all hours for their resources? If this is the case, change Default Assignment Owner for each resource to their manager's name. Open project and check in Resorce usage view "Assignment Owner" for each assignment. If manager's name is displayed, these tasks will be displayed on manager's task view, but not on resources' tasks view any longer (ensure that you display resource name in this view, so manager can see for what resource he is enetering progress).

Note: This will not work if you use timesheets.

Does that work?

Regards
    Barbara

To increase the value of this forum, please mark the replies that helped to solve your issue as answer. If you find answers to questions from other forum participants to be helpful, please mark them as helpful. Your participation will help others to find an appropriate solution faster. Thanks for your support!

Wednesday, April 1, 2015 6:52 AM
  • Thanks Barbara. I couldn't get to Resource Usage view. I guess I am missing some info here.
    Wednesday, April 1, 2015 8:12 AM
  • Hi,

if you open project in client, you will find views Resource Usage and Task Usage. You can add "Assignment Owner" to both views. Or double click on a task and have a look at tab Resource in colmn assignment owner.

Can you find that?
    Regards
    Barbara

Wednesday, April 1, 2015 9:08 AM
  • Anujaa,

The procedure that Barbara is providing, is an assignment owner override designed to work on a project by project basis. It's not clear from your initial question if you need this for one project, a set of projects or for all. The procedure allows you to test this scenario without a major commitment.

If it is working for you and you want the change to impact all projects, you will need to edit the resource record from the Resource Center and change the Default Assignment Owner there. You can select all desired resources, then open up the Resource Pool via Project Pro and bulk edit the Default Assignment Owner.

Hope this helps.

Treb Gatte, Project MVP | Blog | Twitter | YouTube Channel

Wednesday, April 1, 2015 3:28 PM
  • Thanks Treb and Barbara for your replies. I could check the resource usage view in Project Pro. Also, I understand default assignment owner can be changed.

I guess my question was not clear. I need a My Task view for manager in PWA so that he can view his resource's tasks as well and can update the same.

Wednesday, April 8, 2015 7:08 AM
  • Hi,

still not sure, what you want to achieve:

1. Manager can view and update all tasks for his resources:
    Change Default assignment owner and republish all projects --> but team members will not see tasks any longer

2. Manager can view and update some tasks for his resources:
    Change assignment owner for these assignments in any usage view in Project client --> but team members will not see these tasks any longer

3. You cannot get updates for the same tasks (assigments) by different people, so either manager or resource. However, manager can (only) see assignments for his resources in Resource Assignments view (Resource Center - select resource - click on Resource Assignments), while getting updates by resources.

4. The last option is to use Delegate feature. Leave settings as they are (so assignments displayed on resource's Tasks page and gettr updates by them) and allow managers to act as delegate for their resources. Here a sample for 2010, it is the same for 2013: http://epmsource.com/2009/12/05/project-server-delegates/ So manager can "log on" as resource and update status on their behalf.

Does that help?
    Barbara

Wednesday, April 8, 2015 9:32 AM
  • Hello mate-

I guess, the My task view would not be the right phrase to use. if you want to see the way your resources are viewing their assignments, it is not the standard way. You may try to see the tasks from MS project using the resource usage or assignment by resources.

Let us know if that is clear.

Dev EPM Consultant

Wednesday, April 8, 2015 12:35 PM
  • Thanks Barbara for really useful details. 

For Point 3 - manager can (only) see assignments for his resources in Resource Assignments view. Who is the manager in this case? Is it referring to Manager's email address in resource center or something else?

Sunday, April 12, 2015 11:32 AM
  • Hi,

it depends .... :).

It depends what you set up in regards of permissions. Are you using Sharepoint or Project Server permission mode? If you are using RBS and set up permissions based on this, resource manager should see all resources with within their RBS tree.

Sorry, it is quite difficult to answer this question without knowing your setup. Are managers currently allowed to access resorce center and do they see their team members? If so, just ask them to select them and click on Resource Assignments in ribbon.

Regards
    Barbara

Sunday, April 12, 2015 4:54 PM
  • Again Thanks Barbara :)

So, in PWA, resources have option to re-assign tasks in My Task View. But Managers do not have option to re-assign tasks which are assigned to resources, right?

If we need to do so, we will have to design a custom solution. Please correct me if wrong.

Thanks.

Monday, April 13, 2015 5:56 AM
  • Hi,

you are right, managers are not able to do so on task (assignment) level. Sorry. But they could do by using Delegate feature as mentioend above as option 4.

If they are allowed to open and save project, they can do this there - but I assume that this is not the case.

Managers could also replace resources for a whole project using Build Team from Project Center. But this will apply to all tasks a resource is assigned to.

Regards
    Barbara

Monday, April 13, 2015 6:26 AM
  • Right. We wanted options other than delegate for task re-assignment for managers.

Thanks for your help :) Much appreciated.

Monday, April 13, 2015 11:21 AM